Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

44 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

No kidding. I use a Kodi box mostly and luckily have a free hulu subscription. I am trying the Youtube TV thing right now and it's kinda, sorta ok. 

I think that DCI could do a better job of using Digital Media, but having butts in seats is the thing I would like to see change in the immediate future. Maybe that's just me though. I'm not so naive as to believe that we're going to see a 70K seat stadium packed to the rafters, but selling 10K more seats at a few dollars cheaper probably makes sense in the long run. 

I don’t have cable or satellite.  I have an antenna on the roof for OTA, Roku, and the PlayStation vue app. 

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I grew up here in the Chicago suburbs so we did get it early on. 

Just curious. If you can remember, about how many stations did ya have the first time ya had cable installed in the 70's?

Just now, Stu said:

Just curious. If you can remember, about how many stations did ya have the first time ya had cable installed in the 70's?

Not too many. I can’t remember exactly.  Nothing like now.  We got much better reception on the lower numbered channels on VHF and all of UHF was better.  I think that was primarily why my Dad got it plus he wanted sportschannel so he could watch the Blackhawks. 

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I remember having cable in the ‘70’s when I still lived at home with my folks.  My Dad #####ed about it costing $8.95 a month. He’d flip his cookies if he saw the tab now. 

Lol all 12 channels (2-13) and one had to be for community access ca 1970. Then move to mountain and no cable so big antenna with rotor so could turn the antenna as needed. Did better with the freaking antenna as got Philly, Baltimore and a DC VHS channels. 

And to answer Stu, in Harrisburg area could buy a box to get extra 10 or so channels in very early 80s. Couple of regular stations plus those new CNN and ESPN ones. HBO and Prism (Philly sports) were big add on.

and anyone who know what vhs means is officially old. 

As for sponsorship who/what is responsible for digging up sponsor bucks?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Not too many. I can’t remember exactly.  Nothing like now.  We got much better reception on the lower numbered channels on VHF and all of UHF was better.  I think that was primarily why my Dad got it plus he wanted sportschannel so he could watch the Blackhawks. 

17 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol all 12 channels (2-13) and one had to be for community access ca 1970. Then move to mountain and no cable so big antenna with rotor so could turn the antenna as needed. Did better with the freaking antenna as got Philly, Baltimore and a DC VHS channels. 

And to answer Stu, in Harrisburg area could buy a box to get extra 10 or so channels in very early 80s. Couple of regular stations plus those new CNN and ESPN ones. HBO and Prism (Philly sports) were big add on.

We had cable starting in 1981. It had 20 channels and was installed with a plastic box that had 10 black push-buttons and an a/b toggle switch; all analog, no remote.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

👋 Officially old. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

We had cable starting in 1981. It had 20 channels and was installed with a plastic box that had 10 black push-buttons and an a/b toggle switch; all analog, no remote.

1981 moved in my first place and had something like that. 1970 at the old house in town it was turn the vhs dial for choice of 12. And one was that local access which was a camera panning back and forth to a wall of a clock, temperature gauge, humidity, etc.... Other than that it was local stations and couple of independent Philly stations.... whoop de doo.

and Terri yeah we resemble that remark. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

1981 moved in my first place and had something like that. 1970 at the old house in town it was turn the vhs dial for choice of 12. And one was that local access which was a camera panning back and forth to a wall of a clock, temperature gauge, humidity, etc.... Other than that it was local stations and couple of independent Philly stations.... whoop de doo.

and Terri yeah we resemble that remark. 

Yeah, remember the 2-13 channels BITD and my grandparent's antenna in the Pittsburgh area. Then the cable boxes in the late 80's early 90's. We were excited when Lewistown got WPIX, WOR, and WNEW, watched a lot of Mets and Yankees games in that era as well as Kung Fu Theatre and Godzilla Theatre when I wasn't doing corps.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

In my hometown we had PBS, the three networks and four UHF challels. Since my town was near the Rhode Island border, we could also get some channels on the TV with the large antenna. 

A little television trivia. . . . Cable television was invented about one hour north of Allentown, in Mahanoy City, PA by Jack Walson. That was 1948.  The Walson family still lives in a large mansion about 6 blocks from J. Birney Crum Stadium!