Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

2 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

The Walson family still lives in a large mansion about 6 blocks from J. Birney Crum Stadium!    

Six blocks you say.  Maybe you can approach them and work out a deal that allows use of their driveway for parking during the Fri./Sat. shows in early August for your closest DCP friends.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol all 12 channels (2-13) and one had to be for community access ca 1970. Then move to mountain and no cable so big antenna with rotor so could turn the antenna as needed. Did better with the freaking antenna as got Philly, Baltimore and a DC VHS channels. 

My parents only had antenna, no cable. In North Jersey growing up, we had New York channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13. 13 was  PBS. 5, 9 and 11 were NY local and 2, 4, 7 were CBS/NBC and ABC national. When they moved to the Jersey shore in 71, they got an antenna that had a motor to point it at North Hersey and Philly, so we had 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Tim K said:

Yes and no. Some folks on DCP have made that claim before, and others have disagreed, including someone who claimed 125,000,000 people watched it, but the truth is probably in the middle. When DCI was broadcast on PBS, it was during their amateur days with pledge drives, about the same time they had folks getting on afternoon broadcasts of “Sesame Street” threatening to take Big Bird away if Mom and Dad did not donate (that actually happened). This also happened at a time Federal funding for Public Television was beginning to be cut as was the funding for the National Endowment for the Arts. PBS could no longer afford much of its programming and if you add cable, PBS had competition it did not have years earlier. 

PBS also changed how it raised money. They began focusing on memberships where people made a donation, got a membership card and got discounts at local businesses. They also began purchasing material for pledge drives rather than producing it on their own, though some well funded stations did produce the content. Usually content from stars that had a broader appeal such as Yanni, Andre Rieu, Sarah Brightnan, Andrea Bocelli were featured and this was very successful. Soon acts like Libera, Celtic Women, Celtic Thunder, and IL Volo sought out PBS to feature them on pledge drives because of the great exposure. Now PBS is moving away from the star studded fundraisers, upping the quality of its regular broadcasts, think Masterpiece and “Downton Abbey,” “Victoria,” “Poldark,” and “Call the Midwife” and offers opportunities for sustained giving, which works well for me.

DCI fans may not always have paid their pledges, and I’m sure they are not alone, but  there were other factors too. 

When PBS stopped, I called my local affiliate. I knew the then president of the station, and his words were " it came from on high after taking to several stations nationwide. The drum corps people call in, but don't follow up. We do better with oldies or yanni on pledge week than we did with drum corps". And this was, at that time, still a hot drum corps market. Sure they may have gotten eyes watching, but they didn't get what they needed...the cash. 

23 hours ago, Stu said:

Yes skill sets are required. But we are not talking NFL here. It is a rather small corporation that needs an honest and personable person who loves the chalenges of closing deals dedicated to the task. Heck, offer an internship to an undergrad senior majoring in marketing and agree to providie a scholarship up to a full ride for master's studies based on sponsorship revenue collected. Think outside the d### box!!!!!

DCI can't be a place with multiple people making $100 grand or more a year based on their current realities.

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I grew up here in the Chicago suburbs so we did get it early on. 

Harrisburg area isn't exactly urban, and we had it in the 70's. First place HBO went on the air? Scranton/Wilkes Barre area. Not exactly NYC bedroom community back then

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Just curious. If you can remember, about how many stations did ya have the first time ya had cable installed in the 70's?

we had 2 CBS stations, ABC, NBC, PBS, 3 Philly Indy stations,  WOR and WPIX, 2 baltimore stations, Prism ( a philly move/sports station that eventually became Comcast Sportsnet Philly), USA and TBS. I may be missing one or two. I don't think we got HBO until 1980. 

32 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCI can't be a place with multiple people making $100 grand or more a year based on their current realities.

Show me where I said they have to fork over $100 grand? You can't!!! However, I can show you where I stated they could think outside the box with a variation on internship. I am at least coming up with possible solutions; however you seem to just say they are just too poor to hire a $100 grand pro and that expensive professional is the only option

Edited by Stu

29 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

we had 2 CBS stations, ABC, NBC, PBS, 3 Philly Indy stations,  WOR and WPIX, 2 baltimore stations, Prism ( a philly move/sports station that eventually became Comcast Sportsnet Philly), USA and TBS. I may be missing one or two. I don't think we got HBO until 1980. 

Looks to me that in the early stsges half if not more were broadcast stations that were piped in by cable.

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

My parents only had antenna, no cable. In North Jersey growing up, we had New York channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13. 13 was  PBS. 5, 9 and 11 were NY local and 2, 4, 7 were CBS/NBC and ABC national. When they moved to the Jersey shore in 71, they got an antenna that had a motor to point it at North Hersey and Philly, so we had 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13.

And 8 was waaaay over in Lancaster, PA..... 70 years old in 2019.....

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looks to me that in the early stsges half if not more were broadcast stations that were piped in by cable.

Jeff’s list of stations is what I remember when I moved and was able to get cable again in 1981. Thing is there weren’t that many nation wide cable stations in existence. And TBS originally was Channel 17 out of Atlanta and carried Braves games then. So HBO (late 70s) and USA, CNN, ESPN (very early 80s). Not sure anything else outside of locals like Prism.

Today hundreds of cable stations but can’t get local stations outside of what I could get with an antenna. And I miss not getting Baltimore and the 2 NYC stations.

Edited by JimF-LowBari