Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Oh don't pretend to be modest now. It does not fit your personality! I mean it's clear I don't get how marketing works; I know this because you told me and everybody else so. However, you are always right; so it matters not what your job is at this juncture. You know that you have the expertise in what is right when it comes to what DCI needs, does, should be, especially as it applies to marketing. So again, stop pretending to be modest.

i'm only a narcissistic ### when you're involved. otherwise ask W and Fran, and i'm a pretty down to earth guy. 😂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stu said:

To get this back on topic: So Jeff, instead of saying they can't support a $100,000 per year pro, please expand on how DCI can do better at marketing without losing companies like VF/Zildjian.

DCI had no chance to retain. VF/Z had other aims and desires.VF/Z also let their BOA deal expire. But DCI should be out pounding on other doors

32 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Seems like he is always involved so...

OCD could be appropriate ...

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCI had no chance to retain. VF/Z had other aims and desires.VF/Z also let their BOA deal expire. But DCI should be out pounding on other doors

Very true and all of the cymbal making giants really seem to lean towards individual artists / groups rather than large overarching relationships. I think it probably gives them a little more control over advertising revenue. There are quite a few fish in the ocean (Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Meinl and even Bosphorus,) and they all seem on the surface at least to lean in the direction of individual artists or groups. Someone with a background in marketing (or at least someone smarter than me,) would have to explain the advantages. Stick and Mallet manufacturers have always been a little bit "flaky" so that's no real surprise. Percussion and Brass are so expensive to fill out a corps that the movement is at least seemingly a little slower.

I really did like the idea of the Sysco or Aramark angle for food services, footwear manufacturers and clothing manufacturers. Under Armour isn't the only one after all (Nike, Adidas, Puma, Fila, New Balance, etc.) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

You have emphatically stated a $100,000 per year marketing expert is required; not useful but required; that using anyone else would be an excercise in futiliity. Now you state what DCI needs to do is pound on doors. So Jeff, how are they going to get in the door and secure sponsors with anyone less than a well experienced well seasoned highly trained $100,000 per year professional pounding on those doors?

5 hours ago, DCVNVET said:

OCD could be appropriate ...

So could epaulets as he lowers his shoulder against the tide of abuse.

DCP is an opinion board.  He has lots of opinions.  It's OK to leave it at that without suggesting "treatment" for some affliction.  (Further, there is some gravitas gained by achieving greater than a two-digit post count.  Just hurling a little mud back :-) 

We can be happy workers and posters!

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

You have emphatically stated a $100,000 per year marketing expert is required; not useful but required; that using anyone else would be an excercise in futiliity. Now you state what DCI needs to do is pound on doors. So Jeff, how are they going to get in the door and secure sponsors with anyone less than a well experienced well seasoned highly trained $100,000 per year professional pounding on those doors?

Ok, see, this is where you and I discuss well but most people don't.  You can't be so literal.  Jeff is correctly saying that DCI needs some savvy if it wants to compete for sponsorship dollars beyond ice cream, and you're suggestion that a college marketing student would be uninhibited enough to make the call.  You're both right, and if I have to stop this car...

The fact is that DCI needs the unbridled spirit of a college student to source the potential interest, but the actual approach must either be a canned filtering script or a personal contact by someone who is both experienced in dealing with, and not intimidated by, big $$ numbers.  DCI can't afford to perpetuate the "amateur" or "mom and pop" reputation if they want to be Major League.

Jeff's $100,000 might as well be expressed as someone who makes $100,000 but has the cred, CV, and closing skills to work for 5% commission, which means he/she brought in $2million in new sponsorship dollars.  A rookie college student isn't LIKELY to be able to swing that big of a bat.

So, as so many here have said to all three of us multiple times, quit barking at each other and stop dieseling the subject.  VF/Z is gone FROM DCI sponsorship but not from corps sponsorship.  What can DCI do to replenish whatever tour support VF/Z was sponsoring?