Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

21 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, like Left Twix and Right Twix.

Bad commercial week for me. Last night talking about how bad RoboCop is as Colonel Sanders. Even worse than Reba McIntyre(sp)

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Let's try to leave politics out of this.  

those darn 535 Twix bars!

8 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

cI like the car wax company whose name escapes me. They have ads during the car auctions I catch on tv every now and then. 

My question was about members of various clubs being in the national groups board. Sounds like DCI and possibly NCAA. Thought Stu was saying there were issues in this and trying to find out what those issues supposedly are.

I think I got my threads crossed. regarding sponsorship... maybe DCI needs to think on a couple of levels like the AACA does. but that's for the VF/Z thread.

Edited by BigW

5 hours ago, Stu said:

All co-ops, non-profits, etc should have indemnify protections which insulate the members who are acting on their own accord and not acting for the organization from any bad action by the organization or other members; and indemnify protections should also exist to insulate the organization from the actions of members.

I just re-read this and I see that you suggested that "All...should have..." (emphasis mine).  I agree 100%.

It would be great if fiduciaries could indemnify away their responsibility - boards of all non-profits would be chock-full! 

And toothless.

1 hour ago, BigW said:

I think I got my threads crossed. regarding sponsorship... maybe DCI needs to think on a couple of levels like the AACA does. but that's for the VF/Z thread.

Please describe: "levels".  What does AACA do again?

4 hours ago, garfield said:

This is a very hard post to follow, Stu.  Now I'm not sure I understand your point.

DCI as we know it was formed to oversee, manage, and control THE TOUR only.  Not the activity, not the corps, not the Friends program.  Simply, the tour.

DCI IS separate from them with just a board consisting of corps REPRESENTATIVES (not "directors").  It IS an independent body.

There's no subjective "in essence" about it:  DCI's actions are governed by the reps from its member corps.

I'll let others educate about the NCAA if it's an apt comparison.

The corps run and control DCI, but DCI does not run ir control the corps. Make sense now?

4 hours ago, garfield said:

If it were so easy to avoid one's fiduciary responsibility by simply drafting in "indemnity protections", the fiduciary label and responsibility would be toothless.

The DCI board cannot "indemnify" itself out of responsibility for DCI or its actions in the activity.  The fiduciary label is what allowed the O-13 corps to topple the G7 coup attempt.  It's tattooed on the forehead of every Board member and cannot be "indemnified" away.

If the directors of corps are also board members of DCI and do something in the name of DCI, they take responsiblity, but their corps should be protected. If a director does something in the name of their own corps, then that individual takes responsibility but DCI and the other corps should be protected.

I'd like to clarify the consensus if there is one:

Is VF/Z apparently moving its sponsorship dollars to the corps and away from DCI-central office?  And if this is a problem, how is it one?

Should DCI attempt to replace VF/Z sponsorship dollars (hard or soft, in-kind or financial), or just focus on its knitting and run the tour?

1 minute ago, garfield said:

I'd like to clarify the consensus if there is one:

Is VF/Z apparently moving its sponsorship dollars to the corps and away from DCI-central office?  And if this is a problem, how is it one?

Should DCI attempt to replace VF/Z sponsorship dollars (hard or soft, in-kind or financial), or just focus on its knitting and run the tour?

For me:

1) Looks that way but not sure.

2) Forget about VF/Zildjian and other big kahunas, look outside the box and try to get what sponsors they can secure, focus on facilitating shows.