Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:
WHAT DOES THE NATIONAL OFFICE DO?

The 500 employees at the NCAA’s Indianapolis headquarters interpret and support member legislation, run all championships and manage programs that benefit student-athletes.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/ncaa-101/what-ncaa

Man... what is it about Indianapolis... LOL

8 hours ago, BigW said:

The AACA gets its sponsors for events, too. IIRC, most are related to the ownership of vintage automobiles, some others are firms like Wineries, living the high life kinds of items. 

I like the car wax company whose name escapes me. They have ads during the car auctions I catch on tv every now and then. 

My question was about members of various clubs being in the national groups board. Sounds like DCI and possibly NCAA. Thought Stu was saying there were issues in this and trying to find out what those issues supposedly are.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

The National Collegiate Athletic Association is a member-led organization dedicated to the well-being and lifelong success of college athletes.

WHO MAKES THE RULES?

Member representatives serve on committees that propose rules and policies surrounding college sports. Members ultimately decide which rules to adopt – everything from recruiting and compliance to academics and championships – and implement them on campus.

WHAT DOES THE NATIONAL OFFICE DO?

The 500 employees at the NCAA’s Indianapolis headquarters interpret and support member legislation, run all championships and manage programs that benefit student-athletes.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/ncaa-101/what-ncaa

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Governance

Our governance structure consists of legislative bodies – made up of volunteers from our member schools – that govern each division, as well as a group of committees that set association-wide policy.

These committees manage topics affecting sports rules, championships, health and safety, matters impacting women in athletics and opportunities for minorities.

The NCAA Board of Governors is our highest governing body, bringing together presidents and chancellors from each division to discuss issues important to the entire NCAA membership. All association-wide governing bodies are charged with upholding and advancing the Association’s core values of fairness, safety and equal opportunity for all student-athletes.

http://www.ncaa.org/governance

This is all fine and well, but that was not my question. Is the NCAA a Cooprative, created by, owned by, the universities like DCI/corps, or is the NCAA a seperate entity apart from the universities? You still failed to answer that simple question.

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

This is all fine and well, but that was not my question. Is the NCAA a Cooprative, created by, owned by, the universities like DCI/corps, or is the NCAA a seperate entity apart from the universities? You still failed to answer that simple question.

from what I can see, no they do not own it, but then again...maybe they do. I can only give you what their website provides. I answered you to the best information available. I'm not doing anymore research for you nor will i continue to parse participles.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

from what I can see, no they do not own it, but then again...maybe they do. I can only give you what their website provides. I answered you to the best information available. I'm not doing anymore research for you nor will i continue to parse participles.

No, the NCAA is not a Cooperative like DCI. It is an independent organization apart from the universities. And that difference, that distinction, that separation from the member universities is what matters as to the point I was making a few pages back.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

No, the NCAA is not a Cooperative like DCI. It is an independent organization apart from the universities. And that difference, that distinction, that separation from the member universities is what matters as to the point I was making a few pages back.

Now you have me confused. How is DCI not a separate organization that handles shows and everything else they do? They don’t run the corps, all they can do is keep Corps from being in DCI events. 

28 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Now you have me confused. How is DCI not a separate organization that handles shows and everything else they do? They don’t run the corps, all they can do is keep Corps from being in DCI events. 

The corps directors in 1972 created and chartered DCI for the direct intent purpose of member corps to oversee, manage, and control; not for DCI to oversee, manage, and control the corps; DCI is not seperate from them with just a board consisting of corps directors; it is not merely an independent sanctioning body like the NCAA; nope; in essence DCI is the puppet and the member corps control the strings.  That is a far cry from the NCAA, no matter what board goverence structure NCAA has. And that, agian, is my point. Does that clear up any confusion?

Edited by Stu

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

The corps directors in 1972 created and chartered DCI for the direct intent purpose of member corps to oversee, manage, and control; not for DCI to oversee, manage, and control the corps; DCI is not seperate from them with just a board consisting of corps directors; it is not merely an independent sanctioning body like the NCAA; nope; in essence DCI is the puppet and the member corps control the strings.  That is a far cry from the NCAA, no matter what board goverence structure NCAA has. And that, agian, is my point. Does that clear up any confusion?

Oh I wasn’t talking about what really goes on and who controls what. I’m talking purely on a legal basis. IOW legally as per the paperwork the corps are all separate entities and DCI organization is a separate entity. 

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

No.  Instead, you are creating confusion because you are stuck in 1971 (or 1905, regarding NCAA).

NCAA was created independently, but did not remain purely independent.

DCI was created as a cooperative, but did not remain a pure cooperative.

20 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No.  Instead, you are creating confusion because you are stuck in 1971 (or 1905, regarding NCAA).

NCAA was created independently, but did not remain purely independent.

DCI was created as a cooperative, but did not remain a pure cooperative.

There are instences over the years where internal rules, regulations, and bylaws have changed. However, last time I checked, according to legal documents, NCAA is still independent and DCI is still a Cooprative.

Edited by Stu