2019 Santa Clara Vanguard - Speculation?

If this is a duplicate thread, Mods, please delete.

Based on the FloMarching's SCV camp video and "First note of the 2019 Show" as well it being the 30th Anniversary of the winning 1989 Phantom of the Opera show, I speculate that this will be a Phantom reboot / nostalgia/ modernized show.

As an aside, I hope they do it well, as I trust they would, and do a hot a hatchet job like Cavies did to Planets, or PR did to New World last year.

Is there a place in modern DCI for nostalgia shows? Are we seeing an influx of them? Do we care? As an old guy, I love it and I hope it is happening. I would love to see Phantom of the Opera, Drum Corps Fans Dream-Pt.3, Shostakovitch from PR, etc.  Maybe that is a different thread. 

19 minutes ago, DCI-DadJokes said:

Based on the FloMarching's SCV camp video and "First note of the 2019 Show" as well it being the 30th Anniversary of the winning 1989 Phantom of the Opera show, I speculate that this will be a Phantom reboot / nostalgia/ modernized show.

As an aside, I hope they do it well, as I trust they would, and do a hot a hatchet job like Cavies did to Planets, or PR did to New World last year.

Is there a place in modern DCI for nostalgia shows? Are we seeing an influx of them? Do we care? As an old guy, I love it and I hope it is happening. I would love to see Phantom of the Opera, Drum Corps Fans Dream-Pt.3, Shostakovitch from PR, etc.  Maybe that is a different thread. 

I suggest that it be a different thread.  Any SCV commentary related to this season might be on a 2019 Santa Clara thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCI-DadJokes said:

Ain't going to happen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DCI-DadJokes said:

Is there a place in modern DCI for nostalgia shows? 

As a brother from the Drum Corps Old Guy community, my answer is no. Leave them to the alumni corps. 

• Like 3

On 3/15/2019 at 9:54 AM, DCI-DadJokes said:

Phantom of the Opera had premiered on Broadway three years earlier. So maybe the hint means that SCV will be presenting music from a show that opened on Broadway in the past few years? There was this one 2015 show that was about as popular as Phantom was in its heyday.

• Thanks 1

Whether a reboot show works depends on the corps and the show they are rebooting. I loved “Scheherazade” both times it was performed. They were similar enough for the nostalgic feel but different enough 2014 was not a copycat of the 2004 show. 

To me, “Phantom of the Opera” is a classic 1980’s glitz show, but it will always have that 1980’s feel. I don’t think it opens itself to fresh interpretations. Pieces from the show could be used, as we saw with SCV and Bloo in 2012, but a revamp of “Phantom” by SCV would be a back to the 80’s experience. I’d enjoy it, but I’m not a judge and I don’t think it would pack a punch competitively.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 7:14 AM, Tim K said:

Whether a reboot show works depends on the corps and the show they are rebooting. I loved “Scheherazade” both times it was performed. They were similar enough for the nostalgic feel but different enough 2014 was not a copycat of the 2004 show. 

To me, “Phantom of the Opera” is a classic 1980’s glitz show, but it will always have that 1980’s feel. I don’t think it opens itself to fresh interpretations. Pieces from the show could be used, as we saw with SCV and Bloo in 2012, but a revamp of “Phantom” by SCV would be a back to the 80’s experience. I’d enjoy it, but I’m not a judge and I don’t think it would pack a punch competitively.

For sure. That is why I asked. I would LOVE to hear it. But, like you said, I am not a judge. I couldn't work out how you would make that music work in the current era. I couldn't conceive of props or costumes/uniforms or any of it. 

On 3/16/2019 at 6:35 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Phantom of the Opera had premiered on Broadway three years earlier. So maybe the hint means that SCV will be presenting music from a show that opened on Broadway in the past few years? There was this one 2015 show that was about as popular as Phantom was in its heyday.

Extremely valid point! Well played sir.