2019 Santa Clara Vanguard - Speculation?

On 3/16/2019 at 7:35 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Phantom of the Opera had premiered on Broadway three years earlier. So maybe the hint means that SCV will be presenting music from a show that opened on Broadway in the past few years? There was this one 2015 show that was about as popular as Phantom was in its heyday.

OK... the timeline rules out "Spamalot."   :tongue:

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

OK... the timeline rules out "Spamalot."

#### it!!!

Then again, I'm trying to think of what the uniforms would look like and I don't know how you'd be able to hit your dot in armor no matter how much more athletic the kids are now. 

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

OK... the timeline rules out "Spamalot."   :tongue:

that and rocky Horror belong to VK

On 3/15/2019 at 9:54 AM, DCI-DadJokes said:

If this is a duplicate thread, Mods, please delete.

Based on the FloMarching's SCV camp video and "First note of the 2019 Show" as well it being the 30th Anniversary of the winning 1989 Phantom of the Opera show, I speculate that this will be a Phantom reboot / nostalgia/ modernized show.

As an aside, I hope they do it well, as I trust they would, and do a hot a hatchet job like Cavies did to Planets, or PR did to New World last year.

Is there a place in modern DCI for nostalgia shows? Are we seeing an influx of them? Do we care? As an old guy, I love it and I hope it is happening. I would love to see Phantom of the Opera, Drum Corps Fans Dream-Pt.3, Shostakovitch from PR, etc.  Maybe that is a different thread. 

If SCV's design team decides to follow up Babylon with a rehash of POTO, they should be drummed out of the activity.

I'm not even joking.

• Like 4

Not a reboot show, but if they've chosen to do any kind of good musical, I'll soil myself in a fit of excitement. Don't care if they win or lose with it. Just give us a musical!

18 hours ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

Not a reboot show, but if they've chosen to do any kind of good musical, I'll soil myself in a fit of excitement. Don't care if they win or lose with it. Just give us a musical!

Not sure if it would work for SCV, but I've always wanted to see a corps do "A Chorus Line." Literally starting with the corps facing backfield doing the opening portion of the show at the audition, with mirrors backfield. When the big "I Hope I get it" moment happens, corps turns around and does a big fanfare, or go into something completely different. I think it could work well for SCV.

That said, I think it'd be fun to hear SCV tackle an all John Adams show.

49 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Not sure if it would work for SCV, but I've always wanted to see a corps do "A Chorus Line." Literally starting with the corps facing backfield doing the opening portion of the show at the audition, with mirrors backfield. When the big "I Hope I get it" moment happens, corps turns around and does a big fanfare, or go into something completely different. I think it could work well for SCV. 

SCV and the BD have always been good neighbors, so maybe the BD still have their mirrors available.  They might need taller ones though to really make the closing dance number pop from the judges box.  Minimum of 40 cg members for the show and an additional 10-16 brass/percussion  members to slip into the gold dance outfits (stored behind the mirrors) to really nail it.  Don't forget the top hats.  When Academy used the whole on field percussion section to have double flags during the ballad in 15 was fantastic moment.  Any corps doing CL could get that same result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZeGOsR9IA

Play the same arrangements from last year, buy a lot black leather and vinyl, and call the show Path of Destruction...

20 hours ago, tesmusic said:

That said, I think it'd be fun to hear SCV tackle an all John Adams show.

19 hours ago, Ghost said:

SCV and the BD have always been good neighbors, so maybe the BD still have their mirrors available.  They might need taller ones though to really make the closing dance number pop from the judges box.  Minimum of 40 cg members for the show and an additional 10-16 brass/percussion  members to slip into the gold dance outfits (stored behind the mirrors) to really nail it.  Don't forget the top hats.  When Academy used the whole on field percussion section to have double flags during the ballad in 15 was fantastic moment.  Any corps doing CL could get that same result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZeGOsR9IA

So we were 40+ years ahead of our time...just not enough props...and members...and instrument voices... :27_sunglasses: