2019 Santa Clara Vanguard - Speculation?

On 3/15/2019 at 9:54 AM, DCI-DadJokes said:

I

Is there a place in modern DCI for nostalgia shows? . 

Only in Exhibition it would appear

BD did something about as close to a " nostalgia " show as modern judging will tolerate/ reward in their 2017 DCI winning show... and it was mostly found in the Opener ( and parts of the Closer ) only. DCI judges are looking for new innovations, new ideas, creativity, performer excellence, Show Design/ Visual excellence and the like... not " nostalgia ".

Since this is a SCV thread, I will be interested in what their Show Designers have in store for us this season. Whatever it turns out to be, I think its highly doubtful that it will  a show filled with lots of " nostalgia " in it.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2019 at 12:35 PM, BRASSO said:

Only in Exhibition it would appear

BD did something about as close to a " nostalgia " show as modern judging will tolerate/ reward in their 2017 DCI winning show... and it was mostly found in the Opener ( and parts of the Closer ) only. DCI judges are looking for new innovations, new ideas, creativity, performer excellence, Show Design/ Visual excellence and the like... not " nostalgia ".

Since this is a SCV thread, I will be interested in what their Show Designers have in store for us this season. Whatever it turns out to be, I think its highly doubtful that it will  a show filled with lots of " nostalgia " in it.

i found there to be some cool nostalgia moments in BD last year

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 12:47 PM, Jeff Ream said:

i found there to be some cool nostalgia moments in BD last year

Their "Natural Woman" segment... to me, that was quintessential BD.

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree, what a fun moment in their show!

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

and the hit of Harlem Nocturne

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Yeah.... that too.  LOL. A taste of "old school" done in a modern fashion.  Best of both worlds, IMO.

We watched them rehearse in Hamburg PA before DCI East.  Their opening segment... the frenetic street-scene audio and visuals... honest to God, it struck me as a modern-day update of the NY Skyliners' Traffic Jam, which was one of Bobby Hoffman's genius ideas in the early 1970s.

Edited by Fran Haring

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I must be the only person that did not like "Natural Woman"...to me it felt forced into the same mold that worked for "Everything Must Change" in 2017.  That just took away from the effect imho.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Sideways said:

I must be the only person that did not like "Natural Woman"...to me it felt forced into the same mold that worked for "Everything Must Change" in 2017.  That just took away from the effect imho.

OK... go to your room....  LOL

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I was hoping they would have done the classic "take it up an octave" during the lead in to the hit...