Mandarins 2019!

18 hours ago, Tim K said:

“Subterra” looks interesting, and interesting can be a loaded word. 

The show announcement (available on Flo Marching) is pretty dark. For those who want strange and dark, this could be your show of shows. However, in recent years Mandarins have had shows which push the boundaries. Though my favorite show they performed was the immigrant themed show in 2013 (I’m a sucker for sentimental stories—though I’d deny it and claim to be flipping through the channels, I have watched Hallmark Channel movies), they had the Aztec themed show, they have been edgy, but while themes have changed, there has been a steady movement toward improvement. I think too, in 2017 when it looked early on as if they could make finals, especially the shows where the beat Madison, but did not, it gave them the determination to make 2018 their first finals placement. My guess is they know that being a finalist has recruitment benefits, but making the second year in finals may be harder. I have no reason to believe this will not happen, but it could be an interesting year for the corps.

Below earth civilization, perhaps dark and different, determined to work their way to build a finalist legacy, I am Ant-ticipating an interesting show.

5 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Love Mandarins direction these past couple of years.  Was slightly disturbed by the noose in the trailer.  Does anyone know where they are going with that?  It's not a judgment... just curious.  

What? I’ll be judgmental. Why the **** use noose imagery in drum corps?  There’s plenty of ways to be “edgy” without going that route. Absolutely no need to bring that kind imagery into the drum corps arena even if it’s just used in a trailer. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

What? I’ll be judgmental. Why the **** use noose imagery in drum corps?  There’s plenty of ways to be “edgy” without going that route. Absolutely no need to bring that kind imagery into the drum corps arena even if it’s just used in a trailer. 

There were nooses in Boston’s 2017 show. Mandarins could be hanging witches too.  Isn’t the show about a cult?

11 minutes ago, Ediker said:

There were nooses in Boston’s 2017 show. Mandarins could be hanging witches too.  Isn’t the show about a cult?

I have no idea. I was more offended by BAC hanging the witch by the waist. Lol. If you’re going to use that sort of imagery go all the way. 

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Hopefully they can make it back in.  The last first-timer to make it back into finals the following year was 2000 BAC. 

...and they haven't been out of finals since (2016 was close though...lol).