Mandarins 2019!

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

Mandarins are no longer in the lightweight category.  They will repeat as finalists, and be a force in the top 12.

Having only seen Crown (their product this year is so much better than last year), a couple minutes of Regiment, and Mandarins, I would be shocked if Mandarins were at least 10th. The show is so good. I love the percussion writing and I'm not a percussion guy.

The influences of 2018 Vanguard are evident with the dance sequence and the mellos blaring at the end. The final drill move also reminds me of the Z-Pull. I like it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Having only seen Crown (their product this year is so much better than last year), a couple minutes of Regiment, and Mandarins, I would be shocked if Mandarins were at least 10th. The show is so good. I love the percussion writing and I'm not a percussion guy.

The influences of 2018 Vanguard are evident with the dance sequence and the mellos blaring at the end. The final drill move also reminds me of the Z-Pull. I like it.

Based on what I've seen on the east coast, most corps are better this year.  As you've mentioned in the past, being better does not necessarily translate into moving up.  Like 1989 (six corps scoring above 95 at Finals), it's going to be tight at the top.  Mandarins will be anchoring the west, and forcing that upward pressure.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Based on what I've seen on the east coast, most corps are better this year.  As you've mentioned in the past, being better does not necessarily translate into moving up.  Like 1989 (six corps scoring above 95 at Finals), it's going to be tight at the top.  Mandarins will be anchoring the west, and forcing that upward pressure.  

Of course, that may be true and I haven't seen anyone, really. Corps may also start better and fizzle out, or make wrong design choices as the season progresses (I can name 4 top 9 corps that were plagued by that last year, and three of them paid for it), or they could not better the design they start the season with. I just think JW is amazing. One of the greatest leaders in terms of competitiveness. The last two years the Mandarins improved on what they started the season with, and I believe that will continue. We'll see.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

Alright alright alright. I'm DYING to see what Mandarins are up to this year and have searched all of the usual outlets. Where is this video everyone seems to have seen??

Prompted by your query, I tried searching several terms and filters, with no success, but I did accidentally stumble across a new show by another corps, which at least justified the effort.

I was at the Mandarins Family Day show.  WOW.   I’m not completely sold on the theme/show yet, but this corps is continuing its upward climb.   

Big two takeaways:

-MUSIC!  Holy moley, there is a lot of music in this show. The person next to me said it sounds like the hornline is playing double what they did last year. I’m not sure about that, but they play ALOT. And it sounds wonderful.  

-Guard!  HOLY TOSSES!  There are several times when the entire guard is in rifle.  Not dancing around, but legit tossing.  The guard will challenge for a top 7 spot; the work is hard and they have A LOT of cleaning to do, but wow!

-I do think the show lacks in emotional moments; there are some, and they will be adding more, but I’ve loved the “feel” of the past few years, this isn’t there yet - but it can be.  I think all sections have seriously dialed up the difficulty, so it makes sense it will take a little longer to add the layers and “story” that they have done so well with the past few years.

-Props.  What was there isn’t what I’ve seen in plans and heard in discussions   There is a lot on the field (with more to come) and I’m excited to see how it all comes together.

In 2017, I was one the first people to say Mandarins would be challenging for a finals spot   Last year, I was one of the first people to say that Mandarins would be in finals   I’m not as confident (yet) this year, but in terms of placement, I predict Mandarins will place higher than last year.

This show has soooo much room to grow    Don’t miss seeing it if you have the chance! 

• Like 3

Great to hear Mandarins have a good show working. Liked them last year for the 1st time but that prop they used was a bear for sure. Can you imagine spending 3 hours and a team to build and dismantle that thing to get it on the field. Some of the props are over the top. Loved Boston's rotating star stage. It looked like it was a little more manageable.