Mandarins 2019!

5 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

I was at the Mandarins Family Day show.  WOW.   I’m not completely sold on the theme/show yet, but this corps is continuing its upward climb.   

Big two takeaways:

-MUSIC!  Holy moley, there is a lot of music in this show. The person next to me said it sounds like the hornline is playing double what they did last year. I’m not sure about that, but they play ALOT. And it sounds wonderful.  

-Guard!  HOLY TOSSES!  There are several times when the entire guard is in rifle.  Not dancing around, but legit tossing.  The guard will challenge for a top 7 spot; the work is hard and they have A LOT of cleaning to do, but wow!

-I do think the show lacks in emotional moments; there are some, and they will be adding more, but I’ve loved the “feel” of the past few years, this isn’t there yet - but it can be.  I think all sections have seriously dialed up the difficulty, so it makes sense it will take a little longer to add the layers and “story” that they have done so well with the past few years.

-Props.  What was there isn’t what I’ve seen in plans and heard in discussions   There is a lot on the field (with more to come) and I’m excited to see how it all comes together.

In 2017, I was one the first people to say Mandarins would be challenging for a finals spot   Last year, I was one of the first people to say that Mandarins would be in finals   I’m not as confident (yet) this year, but in terms of placement, I predict Mandarins will place higher than last year.

This show has soooo much room to grow    Don’t miss seeing it if you have the chance! 

This is about where I am, I’m not sure if I like it quite as much as the last two yet but in terms of demand they are attempting a WAY harder show, especially musically. That shows a little bit right now but the growth potential is very good.  I think they look awesome visually in all respects.  I can see the story going on (guy stumbles upon an underground secret city and gets chased around/explores) but I definitely think it’ll be fleshed out more.  This one seems more ambitious and barer our the gate but I think that’ll allow for them to have a higher ceiling.  

It’s definitely got the vibe of the last two shows, it’s harder, and has a lot of potential.   I see myself really liking this one as it grows.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Great start for Mandies in Clovis tonight!

More than 4 points above their opening score from a year ago. A bit surprised their score wasn't closer to Cavies from everything I've seen and heard, but a great start. I really am expecting them to be in the 6-8 range this year, at a minimum. As a reference point, they are starting .01 above where Cadets started a year ago, and Cadets ended up in 7th. Still a long journey ahead, but my gut instinct tells me that's their destined range this year. Hard to imagine them NOT improving from their 10th spot last year. They seem stronger musically and have a more complex show this year. Wish we could fast forward to San Antonio. Anxious to see this season unfold. 

• Like 1

Alright, my most anticipated show of the season is up on YouTube!!!! And my reaction is....almost 100% the same as my reaction to SCV, which is ironic, because both corps are in the same position of defending their pinnacle achievements from last season against a history that tells us most corps in the same boat fail to do so.

I'm not as hot on it as I was about Life Rite After upon first viewing. I can almost copy & paste word for word my post in the SCV thread ---- it doesn't seem nearly as fresh as last year, but I guarantee that freshness wasn't at the top of the design triage; I imagine depth & complexity was, of which they have boatloads. It's a dense, knotty show that, similar to SCV, is going to take a few viewings from me to fully grasp and a good chunk of the season to flesh out and bring the ideas to fruition. But I see the shadows of what they're going for, and it's terrific. Tons of stuff going on, and I imagine a lot of artistic choices to be worked out still....but there's already a ton of layering & maturity in the design. That brass book is heavy & intense, and the front & center strangling at the end reminded me that we were indeed in dark, weird Mandarins territory (which makes me happy). I love the bones of the show, but I'm aware this big step forward in depth of design is going to take a bit longer to be fully realized on the field. The fact that they're already popping those numbers with a fairly bare bones show makes me smile.

Speaking of popping those numbers, holy cow I can easily justify those scores from the video. Guard is yet again their strong caption and looks even better this year. Brass sounded TERRIFIC!! The whole corps appears to move & play with a focused, clear intent of topping last year's successes and tackling this difficult show they've got lined up. That Mandarins intensity from the last two years is still overflowing, but now has an added air of maturity to it. What a way to start the season, Mandarins!!!! I can't wait to see what this show develops into by August!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The end of their closer as it is right now sounds almost exactly like the end of Babylon, mello sustain and chord progression and all. Seriously, watch the two endings side-by-side and they're almost identical.

But aside from that, I already like this show more than last year's at this time. Keep up the great work, Mandarins!

I have to say after a Youtube watching from the Clovis show Mandarins just looked impressive. SCV was great as expected and kinda wait and see with BD but they will obviously add slot to their production but the one Corp I was closely seeing if they can match last year and they did and more. This show HAS the potential to move up from 10th. It’s a long season but I don’t see them placing below 9th.   

Just now, DFA1970 said:

I have to say after a Youtube watching from the Clovis show Mandarins just looked impressive. SCV was great as expected and kinda wait and see with BD but they will obviously add slot to their production but the one Corp I was closely seeing if they can match last year and they did and more. This show HAS the potential to move up from 10th. It’s a long season but I don’t see them placing below 9th.   

Oh I’ll be in Palo Alto later tonight for first hand impressions. 

The differences & additions between last night & tonight are astonishing! The show already had much more clarity from tonight's performance to last night's. If that's the pace at which they refine this beast of a show then...well...it's going to be an interesting season for those just under the top 6. What a performance, Mandarins!!

• Like 2

I found the show on Saturday very, very dark and frankly, a little disturbing. By the end of it, that didn't matter. I was totally impressed and blown away. I can see the Mandarins climbing up close to Boston/Cavalier territory.