Blue Knights 2019!

40 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

“We really wanted to create this abstract feeling of memory and the way that we experience memory,” Blue Knights creative director Kevin Shaw said. “Things that come to us in flashbacks or things that we carry with us our whole lives. The idea of creating new memories.”

I think from here, it's a short, easy step to BK's 2020 program, I Forget Everything

“We really wanted to create this abstract feeling of possibility and the way that we experience new beginnings,” Blue Knights creative director Kevin Shaw said. “Things that come to us in moments of inspiration or the ideas that we pursue our whole lives. The idea of leaving the past behind .”

I'm down with it. Bring it, BK.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

“We really wanted to create this abstract feeling of memory and the way that we experience memory,” Blue Knights creative director Kevin Shaw said. “Things that come to us in flashbacks or things that we carry with us our whole lives. The idea of creating new memories.”

I think from here, it's a short, easy step to BK's 2020 program, I Forget Everything

“We really wanted to create this abstract feeling of possibility and the way that we experience new beginnings,” Blue Knights creative director Kevin Shaw said. “Things that come to us in moments of inspiration or the ideas that we pursue our whole lives. The idea of leaving the past behind .”

I'm down with it. Bring it, BK.

Lots of freeform drill, unsynchronized movement, members just randomly exiting the field during the show...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

Lots of freeform drill, unsynchronized movement, members just randomly exiting the field during the show...

And voiceovers of Ronald Reagan?  

A few things I loved live:

- Daniel Belcher is a blast to watch conduct.  

- They do some crazy environmental demand moments, particular the trumpet and mello split stuff in the closer lining up from opposite sides of the field.  Also in the ballad, the drums layering in WAY on side one with the brass on the other side of the field is deceptively hard to make sound that easy and natural.  They do some stuff like that every year that is really hard and they nail it.  

- They are ATHLETIC.  I know that Carolina Crown and Blue Stars have been getting a lot of praise (and deservedly so) about some of the playing on the move stuff, but BK deserves to be in that conversation too.   Liquid has some really wild physical demands.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

A few things I loved live:

- Daniel Belcher is a blast to watch conduct.  

- They do some crazy environmental demand moments, particular the trumpet and mello split stuff in the closer lining up from opposite sides of the field.  Also in the ballad, the drums layering in WAY on side one with the brass on the other side of the field is deceptively hard to make sound that easy and natural.  They do some stuff like that every year that is really hard and they nail it.  

- They are ATHLETIC.  I know that Carolina Crown and Blue Stars have been getting a lot of praise (and deservedly so) about some of the playing on the move stuff, but BK deserves to be in that conversation too.   Liquid has some really wild physical demands.  

Catch the video DCI has up on YouTube featuring the Blue Knights. Daniel is interviewed. It’ll choke you up in an oh so good way. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 3:08 PM, ThePlanets said:

And mirrors. Gotta have mirrors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Yes a mirror maze!

15 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Yah, tbh I was kinda surprised they brought out the mirrors this season. BK is walking this really interesting line this year. Ostensibly it's a show about memories, or more precisely the way memories add up to the person you are today. As if that distinction isn't fine enough, they're avoiding an overt throwback show while still bringing in some elements of their past, e.g. the DMs' uniforms and maybe a few other hollabacks that only BK alums might recognize. I still think it's at least even money that, come prelims, they'll haul out the massive color silks for the closer.

But perhaps where the "memory" concept has its greatest potency in this show is not in the way it comes across in the visible/audible programming, but in the way each individual performer internalizes it and then brings it out in the show -- which is just what Kevin Shaw was talking about in the video. On this, I have to take him at his word; it certainly is true that year in and year out, BK brings some of the strongest individual commitment to performance to the field. Letting each performer interpret the show concept in his/her own way is tricky and carries risk, but I think it's an undeniable intangible that gives BK its signature X factor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Herk said:

So...will BK hit 90 this season?

I hope so.

posted from the DrumScorps app

Edited by WaxDCIFan
Because I didn’t check my facts before opening mouth.