Blue Stars 2019!

On 3/17/2019 at 1:37 PM, MadisonBandMan1 said:

You know the drill!

When I was in drum corps I knew the drill, but still had trouble marching it. :tongue:

Seriously... best wishes to the Blue Stars in 2019!  I've been a fan for a long time, and enjoy their shows. Great corps.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

When I was in drum corps I knew the drill, but still had trouble marching it. :tongue:

Seriously... best wishes to the Blue Stars in 2019!  I've been a fan for a long time, and enjoy their shows. Great corps.

I figured somebody would crack that joke. "No, I don't know the drill. I'm not a mm." :8_laughing:

Best wishes to them from me as well!

• Like 1

The history of the Blue Stars is a pretty remarkable story. From Midwest Combine in the 70's to nearly winning DCI in the infant years. Then a steady trek in the mid-finalist range for a few years before whammo, the bottom fell out and nearly 30 years of competing in Division II/III/A60 before returning to finals. But they held in there and still competed while a lot of other corps were dying off. 

Does anyone with more knowledge of their history know what changed for their organization to bring them back to the top 12 after all that time? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Does anyone with more knowledge of their history know what changed for their organization to bring them back to the top 12 after all that time? 

I agree, that would be nice to know.

They had become such a rock-solid Div. 2/3 corps, I honestly thought they might stay at that level.

It was a pleasant surprise for me when they not only moved back up, but got back into the top 12.

The corps was also a top corps in the 1960's.  The corps was formed in late 1964 as a merger between the Blue Stars Color Guard and a small parade corps forming the Blue Stars Drum Corps.   The corps was a parade corps in 1965.  1966 was the 1st competition season for the corps.  It finished 18th at the American Legion Nationals.  Starting in 1967 it became one of the top corps in the country never finishing lower than 10th at the national championship contest of that era.

The Corps folded in 1983 due to financial issues.  A small group of very dedicated Alumni kept the spirit of the corps alive via a small C Class parade corps, Blue Star Cadets, while working to bring back the competitive corps which they accomplished in 1986. They gradually over time rebuilt the corps.  Again the early 2000’s a group of alumni again gathered and put together a long term plan to move the corps forward and bring it back to being one of the top Drum Corps in the country.

• Like 1

Good ol' alumni. That's great to learn. They sure did a fabulous job and I'm sure worked very hard and had a ton of personal investment to bring things back. 

That speaks to a point Stu was making in another thread about corps loyalty. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Blue Stars seem to play it pretty close to the vest year in, year out, so not unusual to hear little about the show. The good news is we know they have a very stable design team, with just the new percussion heads coming in this year. I do not expect any drop off from the Blue Stars. 

• Like 1