Madison Scouts all time Top 12

Choose your top 12 Madison shows, please put why

1. 1993-First show I ever saw live. Fell in love with the corps at DeKalb. I can still go directly to the place I was sitting when I saw this corps. Knew I was going to march this corps

2. 1995-Amazing design, incredible hornline

3. 1992-Broadway at its finest. Drum solo to the end was pure adrenaline.

4. 1997-My rookie year. Great group of guys, and an incredibly fun show to perform.

5. 1982-Ice Castles, among other things

6. 2011-So much emotion in the show

7. 1994-Such an underrated show

8. 2005-Loved the story and design

9. 1975-A championship show for a reason

10. 1999-In front of the hometown crowd. So glad we moved the cross/star to the end of the closer. Early season, that was the intro to the closer.

11. 1984-Loved the music

12. 1986-Some of the best arranging of that era.

1 99.....had to be there. Cleanest no, but that night in Madison was the Rondo "this place is electric" line to a tee.1

2 95....ditto

3 75....awe inspiring

4 11....if you didn't get misty you have no soul

5 13.....watching alumni, in jackets, stand up and sign MYNWA....again, if you didn't well up, you have no soul

6 82...i could listen to this show every day

7 84....Cats ending the ultimate power ending

8 97....that swashed more than Cesarios Buckles

9 77....what a wall of sound

10 74....that begat 75

11 93...the hype in the rain

12 88....i hate the opener, but the best Malaguena ever

edit to add tie for 10th...2010. Standing O at Allentown after the intro.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

... Likewise enjoyed every one of the Madison Scouts shows listed by the 2 posters above. ... I might add in '76 as another of my favorites. That OTL of " Stars & Stripes Forever ", might be military march smaltz to some, but for me the way Madison played it in '76 was the balz. Madison nearly got themselves a repeat DCI Title in '76 with that Corps as well.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

... Likewise enjoyed every one of the Madison Scouts shows listed by the 2 posters above. ... I might add in '76 as another of my favorites. That OTL of " Stars & Stripes Forever ", might be military march smaltz to some, but for me the way Madison played it in '76 was the balz. Madison nearly got themselves a repeat DCI Title in '76 with that Corps as well.

and scrapped half the show at mid season

• Like 2

Top 6 favorites for me...

1975 - Loved the soprano solo's from this show and the slaughter on tenth company front.  So powerful!

1995 - My favorite show at the time for sure!  Absolutely ELECTRIC!  

1988 - The closer!

2011 -  Empire State of Mind.

1999 -  Reprise of JCSS

1997 - RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! 🙂

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

Some favorites, in no particular order:

1995... breathtaking power and energy.

1975... see above.  LOL. That opening hit from the back sideline... holy mackerel.

2011 and 2013.... what Jeff said in his post. "Emotional" would be an understatement.

2010... the "no theme" show. A perfect "pure Scouts" vehicle to get them back into Finals while wowing the fans.

1980... great horn line. Awesome French horn soloist in Ice Castles.

1988.... again, what Jeff said... all about Malaguena.

Pre-DCI: 1971... the "Fantasy Land" theme show that killed drum corps. :tongue:  How dare they use costumed characters, including a female. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

I liked basically everything from the 70s, 80s, and 90s when it comes to the Scouts. And 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 were fantastic as well. I really enjoyed the 2010 show. Would love to see that corps again. 

No matter who your personal favorite corps was from the 70s, 80s, and 90s, it was apparent and well-regarded among most drum corps purists that the Madison Scouts were one of the most entertaining corps of that era. I wish I could have seen them in the 70s. My first viewing was 1980 and I was blown away. Saw them every year in the 80s and most years in the 90s. Some of their shows literally left the crowd screaming for more, as if a legendary rock concert just ended. 

My top 10 (no particular order though):

• 1984 - Ballet in Brass and Memory (Cats)
  • 1997 - Pirates of Lake Mendota, Finals night was epic! This may be my favorite Scouts show of ALL!
  • 1995 - What did this show get? Something like 6 standing ovations on Finals night
  • 1975 - Have only heard recordings and seen a little video. Classic old-school music arrangements and incredible power. 
  • 1992 - City of Angles, a more sophisticated yet entertaining Scouts
  • 1981 - Maybe the first rifle line that blew me away, and what a great brass line
  • 1988 - Obviously a classic closer, and a super talented corps. The arrangement of Malaguena for this show will live forever in DCI history.
  • 1999 - As others have said, on that night in Madison, WI, the Scouts lit-up the stadium like a Christmas Tree. I don't think it's possible to craft a better ending to Jesus Christ Superstar. 
  • 2010 - From the opening to the end, this was a classic Scouts show and the crowd loved it. Multiple ovations at Finals. 
  • 2011 - Another modern, yet classic Scouts show that gave you goosebumps and some tears. 

Too many good shows to list them all, sadly. I love hearing about the 1976 corps that had to change shows mid-season and still took 2nd place. I never saw the 1993 corps, but I heard their Finals performance (in the rain) put the crowd on their feet big time.  I really enjoyed the 1987 show, which I believe was Rhapsody in Blue. Took 4th at Finals. Fantastic music arrangements. The 1986 book also has great music. 

• Like 1

My 100% completely biased list:

1. 1981. I can still play the entire snare show.

2. 1979. I know, I know. This show is not held in high regard & it finished 8th, but I love every song in this show, especially Bohemian Rhapsody.

3. 1975. Duh.

4. 1980

5. 1977

6. 1995

7. 1988

8. 1997

9. 1999

10. 2013

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

My 100% completely biased list:

1. 1981. I can still play the entire snare show.

2. 1979. I know, I know. This show is not held in high regard & it finished 8th, but I love every song in this show, especially Bohemian Rhapsody.

3. 1975. Duh.

4. 1980

5. 1977

6. 1995

7. 1988

8. 1997

9. 1999

10. 2013

I’m with you on 79. That was a great corps playing great music.

• Like 1

My favorite Scouts shows as I think of them

• 2005 - Carmen is actually my all-time favorite Scouts show
  • 1997 - Pirates of Lake Mendota was such a well thought out show start to finish
  • 1987 - Castile...Amreican in Paris...Stars and Stripes...loved it!
  • 1975 - Esp Slaughter and MacArthur Park
  • 1992 - City of Angels, kind of a new Scouts, yet still the Scouts
  • 1971 - Alice show with Bill Howard's daughter as Alice
  • 1988 - Agree on the Malaguena, and I loved the opener
  • 1999 - Great JCS show
  • 2011 - NY, NY and Empire...what better than that! 
  • 2013 - Corps of Brothers show, with the best closer!
Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1