The Cavaliers top 12

8 hours ago, Ghost said:

Bully sounds really nice on the 65 VFW Nationals indoor recording.

I will check that out!!!  That Nationals was a legendary show.

Old time Cavaliers:

1975 -  Love Russian Christmas Music

1976 -  Not even so much the show, but the re-birth ala the Blue Devils the same year. New, updated and sophisticated uniforms. They looked Cavalier. 

1980 - as mentioned, the step-over. Was nothing particularly difficult to pull off, but it just looked so dang cool. 

Newer Cavaliers:

1995 - You can never go wrong with The Planets. 

2004 - 007 

2017 - Men are from Mars, also for the Mars/My Way integration. That was brilliant. 

What, no love for 79?  We were just happy to back in finals. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ghost said:

Actually 1963 was the 1st year they played it.    It was put in sometime during the year.  I have a recording of the 1963 VFW nationals which was in Seattle, WA.    Note that DCXmuseum is not 100% accurate with a few of the very early years.   Corps during those years often made changes during the year.  A good example would be Madison Scouts 1976 and their infamous Theme from "Shaft" Show.     Their scores early in the year were horrible even though they had the same membership when they won in 1975.    So during the season they switched music and re-wrote almost the entire drill.   They finished 2nd in 1976 and there are many that think if they'd another week to clean the show they could have also won in 1976.  The DCXMuseum database only reports their end of season Rep.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAvery said:

What, no love for 79?  We were just happy to back in finals. 

Saw you guys at the CYO Nationals that year.  Cool show, and it was nice to see the corps back in the mix.

Hmm. This one broke down rather oddly for me...

1980- Loved Santa Esmerelda BITD, and 'Softly As I Leave You' is a marvelous traditional closer, even without the 'step'.

1985- When the Cavies did this show.... I watched... and realized Steve Brubaker was creating another evolution of Visual vocabulary that was cool, accessible, and exciting. Also, that the Cavies Horns and Percussion were pushing themselves forward in a Quantum way.

1986- Starting to use Cornerstone Wind band works that were set wonderfully. Canzona- TASTY.

1987- Soft Spot in my heart for Claude Smith. Lovely, lovely man. And the closer... the drill and music... some serious stuff there.

1988- Took the Firebird and raised it to a new level in the activity.

1989- Who'd have thunk Rutter would work on the field. This show was white hot plasma from the get-go. And the drill, brilliant and elegant.

1990-Soft Spot for the Nelson, and "Bridegroom"... gets to yah.

1991- When they did the Barber at East I was in tears. And O Be Joyful in the Lord... the total package... POW!

Yeah crazy I went 7 seasons in a row...

2002- Frameworks is Iconic. Moments where you sit and think, WOW, then they TOP that.

2006- Similar in that WOW! factor to Frameworks, but also the wry humor injected here and there makes the show special.

2008- This show speaks deeply to me. It may be my favorite out of the lot. When I saw this show for the first time... and still... I never want it to end. Just to keep going.

2018- Something here... maybe the feeling that the Cavies have figured out the essence of who they are again and create a program that hits all the buttons in today's environment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BigW said:

1988- Took the Firebird and raised it to a new level in the activity.

I want to alter my reply and add this. 

1. 2003 Spin Cycle- The most difficult marching show in drum corps history. I was mesmerized. I even wrote the marching staff to tell them how much I appreciated the show. They should have won on content alone. My favorite Cavaliers show of all time.
  2. More later, I'm spending more time here than working. 
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I want to alter my reply and add this. 

That series of shows were a huge influence on my thoughts about show design... pace, energy...I wish I could have met and thanked Steve Brubaker myself.