Kanstul Reorganization - Any corps left?

I did a search, but didn't find a post on this, but Kanstul is undergoing a reorganization that has halted production.  This is from their website:

Effective immediately, Kanstul Musical Instruments is putting a hold on new orders for instruments, parts and accessories. We are undergoing a transition that requires an indefinite halt in production.

In the meantime, the Kanstul family and team want to express our deep appreciation to our customers, business partners and friends for the business and incredible support we’ve received over the 38 years since Zig Kanstul founded the company.

We will update on any further developments.

Are there any corps left playing Kanstul horns?  I know they were making the Tama marching brass, so that might be out the window too.

1 hour ago, lowend said:

I did a search, but didn't find a post on this, but Kanstul is undergoing a reorganization that has halted production.  This is from their website:

Are there any corps left playing Kanstul horns?  I know they were making the Tama marching brass, so that might be out the window too.

Are the US Marines still on the 2v Kanstuls?

Hanover Lancers are on Kanstuls but that was just before the used market dried up. No idea if ever ordered from factory.

• Thanks 1

Well Genesis was, but I know their staff was pretty frustrated with Kanstuhl last year.   I don’t know if Genesis has switched Horn vendors by now.

• Thanks 1

I thought Spirit was playing Kanstuls a while back, but I could be mistaken. I don't know their current brand of horn. 

20 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Are the US Marines still on the 2v Kanstuls?

Hanover Lancers are on Kanstuls but that was just before the used market dried up. No idea if ever ordered from factory.

Yes and will be forever unless their rules are changed.  Truman Crawford made sure of this.

11 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Yes and will be forever unless their rules are changed.  Truman Crawford made sure of this.

But if Kanstul doesn’t start up again it’s going to get interesting....

7 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

I thought Spirit was playing Kanstuls a while back, but I could be mistaken. I don't know their current brand of horn. 

They are on Adams brass now, which is distributed by Pearl.  So, by my count you have the following make-ups/partnerships:

Yamaha (Full Line)

System Blue (Full Line)

Adams Brass/Adams Front Ensemble/Pearl Battery

Kanstul Brass (?)/Tama Drums

Jupiter Brass/Mapex Percussion

Then you have a couple of mixed groups:

Phantom - King & Pearl/Adams

SCV - Yamaha Brass & Dynasty Percussion

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

But if Kanstul doesn’t start up again it’s going to get interesting....

Not really.  You don't need to replace your horns every year like some would have you believe.  It would be a sad day if they ever stopped.  Pretty sure someone would custom make them if need be.

4 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Not really.  You don't need to replace your horns every year like some would have you believe.  It would be a sad day if they ever stopped.  Pretty sure someone would custom make them if need be.

Absolutely true. When I marched 27, I cobbled my soprano together from pieces of three old sops. It worked just fine (for an Olds Ultratone). Horns occasionally were casualties of the 27 colorguard. 😂

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1