Drum Corps Membership Changes

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Two women were on contra in 1978 in Guardsmen. 

And there was at least one female contra in all the corps I marched in. Granted, the same female contra marched in three of my corps, but it still counts!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And there was at least one female contra in all the corps I marched in. Granted, the same female contra marched in three of my corps, but it still counts!

They’re tough. I wasn’t holding up anything heavier than That French Horn.   :laughing:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They’re tough. I wasn’t holding up anything heavier than That French Horn.   :laughing:

Was that a French Horn or a club? 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I played a stubby not a longie 😂 

You did hear that in your head before you posted, right? 😂

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Yep...Carla was BD 84...Spirit before then, I think.

BD has always been, if you're good enough to make it, you ,make it.

i think the ONLY position a lady has not been in is bass #5 (I think they had a lady on tenors in the mid 70s)

Gis in Crossmen too

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just thinking Westshoremen had female baris starting 1976 or 1977 and female contra starting 1978 or 1979 (years running together). 

Erie Thunderbirds had female snare ca 1976/77. 

Les Ambassadeurs had an all female "triple" line in 77 or 78

8 hours ago, MikeD said:

The best hornline in the country in 1971, the Argonne Rebels, had a coed hornline. 

The best Drumline in the Country in 1956 ( pre DCI ) was an ALL FEMALE  Drumline ( The Audubon, N.J " Bon Bon's". Drum Corps ).  They beat every single all Male Drumline in the Country they faced that season at Championships. The Snare Drum National Champion in the Individual Snare Drum  AL National Championships in 1957 was a Female.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

DCI is slowly moving away from an All Male, " Good Ol Boy " network where Males for decades in DCI completely dominated show design programming positions in Corps, the DCI judging ranks,  the DCI and Corps BOD's, and the  Executive Directorship positions, and the like. There is still much work to be done to bring DCI Drum Corps into the 21st century of gender inclusion and diversity in key decision making roles. But recently, outreach by DCI has been seen taking shape, ( even at DCI HQ ), and inroads of inclusion and diversity progressivism are slowly, but surely taking place in several quarters of DCI the last 12--24 months, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1