Drum Corps Membership Changes

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

DCI is slowly moving away from an All Male, " Good Ol Boy " network where Males for decades in DCI completely dominated show design programming positions in Corps, the DCI judging ranks,  the DCI and Corps BOD's, and the  Executive Directorship positions, and the like. There is still much work to be done to bring DCI Drum Corps into the 21st century of gender inclusion and diversity in key decision making roles. But recently, outreach by DCI has been seen taking shape, ( even at DCI HQ ), and inroads of inclusion and diversity progressivism are slowly, but surely taking place in several quarters of DCI the last 12--24 months, imo.

Well said and no doubt. I've always had an odd sort of internal struggle with Madison and Cavies. And let me preface this by saying they are great corps, with amazing members and staff and a rich history of excellence. On one hand, I appreciate and can respect the fact that they have chosen to continue on as all-male corps. They were established that way and have held strong to that tradition. On the other hand, It's not exactly a tradition of inclusion (which we truly need in today's times.) I talked about this to my father once and he said "If you feel like it's not inclusive, then is it really fair?" #### it Dad...quit making me think. The saving grace is that there are still MANY opportunities out there to march in top tier co-ed corps. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BRASSO said:

The best Drumline in the Country in 1956 ( pre DCI ) was an ALL FEMALE  Drumline ( The Audubon, N.J " Bon Bon's". Drum Corps ).  They beat every single all Male Drumline in the Country they faced that season at Championships. The Snare Drum National Champion in the Individual Snare Drum  AL National Championships in 1957 was a Female.

Yup, and old timers today still say the Bon Bons should have won the whole 1957 show (2nd by 0.35 to Holy Name) in Atlantic City, but the AL did not want girls to beat the boys.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, MikeD said:

Yup, and old timers today still say the Bon Bons should have won the whole 1957 show (2nd by 0.35 to Holy Name) in Atlantic City, but the AL did not want girls to beat the boys.

Did not check the VFW results, but with Tony S. in charge of the VFW Nationals, they might have had a hard time winning that "contest" as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

Did not check the VFW results, but with Tony S. in charge of the VFW Nationals, they might have had a hard time winning that "contest" as well.

7th, about three points out of first in Miami. Cavies and Vinnies 1st and 2nd. They were .3 from 5th (Scouts). BS was 4th, and Bon Bons had beaten both Vinnies and BS at AL Nats.

Female snares I remember early on but can't recall names.

Early 1960s: Bellmore Thunderstreaks. ( help ironlips)

1969, 1970 : Blue Rock

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I have heard that 2 of 1976 BD Contras were female, but IDK if that is true.  Beast Contra part in Channel One Suite played well no matter what the X/Y chromosome arrangements were

1 was, according the the member list on the website...however, I question the accuracy given the errors on the 84 member list.

That being said...the first female contra I was aware at BD is Sharon Rhebergen...BD 82-83...Regiment 81 (possibly earlier or other corps)

If i remember correctly, there were ladies in the snare lines of BD, Garfield and Freelancers in 84....possibly Xmen as well (but I might be a year off there)

On 3/22/2019 at 6:53 PM, ironlips said:

The godmother of them all was a soloist and instructor for the Sunrisers, 'way back in the late '50's, Lil Lindy, who went on to teach hundreds of kids in local corps on Long Island.

My years with Sunrisers  (just a few years after your last years, Frank!!!  LOL).... I remember Lil Lindy and Judy Foster were a big part of the corps' history, as pioneering female brass players. Judy returned to the corps in 1978 after a several-years hiatus, and I was glad to have a chance to march with her.

My local-circuit junior corps before I joined Sun... even though our director was seriously old-school, we always had women in the horn line.  My time with Sun starting in 1977, we had women in all sections... horns, drums, and an all-female guard through 1979  (co-ed from 1980 on).  Being as naive as I was then....LOL... I thought that was the norm. It never really occurred to me that there were other corps who either didn't have female horn players or drummers, or who added them relatively late in the game.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:46 PM, 84BDsop said:

That being said...the first female contra I was aware at BD is Sharon Rhebergen...BD 82-83...Regiment 81 (possibly earlier or other corps)

Her husband was my HS band director.  Small world.  :)

Mike