Is the quest for high G.E becoming too dangerous

7 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

"Now let's talk about how you get on and off of this #### ramp thing without killing yourselves."

The educated guess is there were, and how to approach and use the hand grips, body positions down slides, everything had a specific technique that had to be used, period. If they were sticklers, something had to be recited from memory on it and also demonstrated. if someone got sloppy in rehearsal, they were talked to.

And with your shop, absolutely correct not to have anything running like a CNC mill with someone there without proper eye protection, etc. 

58 minutes ago, BigW said:

The educated guess is there were, and how to approach and use the hand grips, body positions down slides, everything had a specific technique that had to be used, period. If they were sticklers, something had to be recited from memory on it and also demonstrated. if someone got sloppy in rehearsal, they were talked to.

And with your shop, absolutely correct not to have anything running like a CNC mill with someone there without proper eye protection, etc. 

There absolutely were instructions given on how to get up and down the slides in 16 and the jagged line in 17. Furthermore, if atmospheric conditions left the props damp, they were not used in rehearsals (or at least the ramps / slides  would not be used). Or if there were any issues with the prop, they would not be used.

Saftey was always front and center in the minds and actions of the staff regarding the props and electronics. 

If you recall, there were issues when the jagged line was used in the tour premier (it was damp from rain outside the Oil Can) that were addressed and corrected the very next day.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

I remember seeing Tilt in Ft. Wayne after some rain, and there was some of the tenors who didn't go up the ramp for that bit when they see-sawed on them while playing a feature.  I started noticing a few other moments where people didn't go up ramps either.   Yet they had a clear 'alternate spot" to be.   Later someone posted here that they were instructed that it was their choice if it seemed unsafe to go up and they practiced multiple locations .  It was evident in the performance at Ft. Wayne. And it didn't detract from scoring at all as the show was on fire that night and they came within a point of BD who had a rough start to Felliniesque that night (but got it together for the ballad, which was astounding).  It was the closest anyone got to BD all season I think.

This was with Bloo's old closer too with multiple jumpers.  The 'big jump' (that became the only jump) hit their head a bit on the catch if I recall but was ok.  

8 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

....there was some of the tenors who didn't go up the ramp.....a few other moments where people didn't go up ramps either.   Yet they had a clear 'alternate spot" to be..... And it didn't detract from scoring at all

If one claims that failing to use the ramps 'does not detract from scoring' at all, that conversely means using them 'does not add to scoring' at all. Which begs the question: why have the ramps in the show at all? Serious question.

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

If one claims that failing to use the ramps 'does not detract from scoring' at all, that conversely means using them 'does not add to scoring' at all. Which begs the question: why have the ramps in the show at all? Serious question.

Because the show was seriously great. Performing less risky moves with the ramps, when called for, isn’t the same as eliminating them. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Because the show was seriously great. Performing less risky moves with the ramps, when called for, isn’t the same as eliminating them. 

You did not really answer the question. If the use of the ramps, or lack of use, does not impact the score then why use them at all? If it does not impact scoring the show would be just as seriously great, as you put it, with or without the use of the ramps.

18 hours ago, BigW said:

Sometimes the trick is to have something appear to be more dangerous than it actually is. Sometimes, the safety is carefully built in so it's not that evident. :wink:

Just how I like my safety precautions, vague and hidden :wink: I'm just glad it got handrails and worked out for the season.

Edited by Brass Lover

1 minute ago, Brass Lover said:

Just how I like my safety precautions, vague and hidden :wink: I'm just glad it got handrails and worked out for the season.

Hidden to the viewer of the show, not to the performer. Much like the tricks of an illusionist.

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

Actually, the premise you make here may not be entirely correct.  A show designed with 'awesome elements' is not penalized when such elements cannot be performed due to conditions.  But those elements are rewarded when present and able to be performed as designed.  

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

You did not really answer the question. If the use of the ramps, or lack of use, does not impact the score then why use them at all? If it does not impact scoring the show would be just as seriously great, as you put it, with or without the use of the ramps.

Point taken.

I don’t have an opinion about the exact scores, with or without ramps... not an expert there.

The props were an embellishment, layered onto an already excellent show. They were not the core of what was being scored.