Is the quest for high G.E becoming too dangerous

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

Were there no playgrounds in this young man’s childhood?

38 minutes ago, wallace said:

Honestly, it’s a lawsuit waiting to happen. We’ve seen some gruesome injuries occur on the field before these contraptions and acrobatics started. I’ve seen the most safety conscious companies have accidents. It’s not a matter of “if”; it’s a matter of “when.”

26 minutes ago, Tim K said:

One the one hand, Bloo’s slides were not like kiddie slides in playgrounds and most kids I see at playgrounds or school yards are not playing musical instruments as they slide down. One the other hand, I only had a brief conversation with these parents at Alumni Stadium, so I don’t know if they are “helicopter parents” which does seem to be a hard habit for many parents to break. 🚁

It should be a given that in a marching music ensemble you may get injured on a sudden direction change, a flag or other tossed implement hit; or something from a repetitive instrument performance. It should also be a given that in a modern DCI BOA acrobatic circus type show you may get injured while spinning in a gyroscope after bouncing on a highwire then rolling down a ramp into a box made to break apart upon impact which in turn releases simulated dry-ice fog.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

Which goes back to my original question. If scoring can be just as high without them, then why spend the extra money, time, logistics, etc to have them in the first place?

They want to present those elements as their show of choice. To them it is worth the money/time/logistics. "Plan B" so to speak is just that...their second choice. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

do people feel the same of high speed, faster faster hairpin drill? Many have gone down over the years. I would think many more injured than from props. I do know of many hurt in drill.

Seems there are many who love this

I recall a few years back a CC member (mellophone?) who broke leg bad at finals near the end of their show.  I don't recall how fast the drill was at that point.

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I recall a few years back a CC member (mellophone?) who broke leg bad at finals near the end of their show.  I don't recall how fast the drill was at that point.

Yes...there have been many hurt..remember Cadets multiple downers?

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

They want to present those elements as their show of choice. To them it is worth the money/time/logistics. "Plan B" so to speak is just that...their second choice. 

So, if I am understading you correctly, plan B, so to speak, should be able to receive the same score as plan A, even if plan B does not use the added show of choice elements of plan A. Correct?

21 hours ago, BigW said:

Makes sense, though with some of the less agile stumblebums one finds in some groups... I might have them on something 2 feet off the ground... and I'm serious. I'm curious what the OSHA regs are for that type of thing, actually. 

I worked on the Safety Committee for where I've worked, and this kind of stuff hits home to me. Also been injured myself at work due to various issues here and there. A lot of things to think about with any structure, stair, platform and ways to walk and approach them...

i have had to tell indoor groups to install them or they don't perform in a show  in the circuit again without them. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

Yes..the verticality factor is the one area that concerns me..I'd hate to see a fail because of poorly designed props, but even more problematic is a slipping off of said prop by a mm due to atmospheric conditions

doesn't even have to be weather. overshoot a move or a jump ( thinking Vanguard performer last year), and boom.....not good. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I get it trust me. I've done everything from NDT work to teaching and have seem some things (scaffolders inside power plant boilers are truly insane.) I pretty much hurt myself in some way literally every time I build a pool cue and my shop is pretty #### controlled. That's why NO ONE comes into my shop when lathes or the CNC is running. I KNOW what's going on and I still always manage find a way to lose focus for a split second. I'm one of those sumblebums that BigW so eloquently described.

With all of the Go-Cam footage out there, you can usually get a good look at how everything is structured and most of the props look pretty safe. But as the OP asked in the original topic heading and several posters pointed out, the potential gain for "bigger, higher, faster" GE wise is starting to push the envelope of risk vs. reward. I don't know anyone who marched Bluecoats in 2016, but I would hope there were multiple full corps huddles regarding "Now let's talk about how you get on and off of this #### ramp thing without killing yourselves." One thing I didn't notice about the ramps were either ladders or stairs but I well may have missed them. 

The tarps are another thing that's been discussed but need to really be evaluated (and may already be.) I know I wasn't too hip on the ones Cavies used in '18. They just made me think of what would happen if a foot gets caught or something of that nature. 

odd how most of the issues with tarps I saw last year in DCI and DCA happened only at Championships.