Is the quest for high G.E becoming too dangerous

14 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Reminds me of people freaking out at the sport of fencing being introduced to middle or high schools.  They're stabbing/slashing each other with a 3 foot length of steel...DANGEROUS!!

Actually...the sport is far FAR safer than football if proper gear is worn and you don't do something stupid.   I fence and instruct sabre -- the most aggressive of the three weapons -- and frankly, I've taken more injuries in 2 decades of armory than in 2 decades of fencing.

Heck, yeah. Fenced myself many years and am horrible. :laugh: But it was clear wearing the gear, I wasn't going to get shishkabobed or sliced.

5 hours ago, Eleran said:

and what's worse - maybe the top corps can pull it off in a safe manner.  But then all the copycats try and do it because that's what the judges are rewarding ... right on down to the high school level, where the average school clearly won't have the financial capacity or knowledge to do it safely.

IF the HS does their research, studies and ASKS what's going on that's not evident to ensure things are done right..; than they can think through it and decide if they can do it or not. The problem is many of these folks don't properly think their way through the problem and assume it's easy or simple. From my experience the HS groups that just do things because DCI World class corps X did it- even down to playing the chart--- usually fail because they don't understand it at any depth, and don't understand how to teach it to begin with. You're correct, it's not as simple as just copying.

8 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Are the corps being given less time to set up between each performing group or is it just that venue you think?

same time...interval time is consistent all year. One was outside, one was inside...yet issues happened that didn't happen on earlier viewings...and in fact Cabies I believe didnt have the issues outside at Allentown the week before, a day after a monsoon hit the region. It reminded me of Crown 17 and the mic issues finals week that weren't there a week before. 

6 hours ago, karuna said:

1. That's only true for a very tiny fraction of HS programs.   

2. As for the rest of your comment LOL that's a nice story.  But every year hundreds of programs see something at a summer drum corps show and try to do the exact same thing in the Fall.  Like it or not,  those top corps are very much trendsetters for the HS activity.  Same goes for all the non-finalists corps trying to break into finals.  They're going to copy what they see getting rewarded by the corps who are IN finals.  We see it every year.

thats a larger portion of HS programs than you think.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

So far, I've seen responses essentially supporting the new prop oriented DCI because of the safety built into said props ..Also seen are people  who believe that we might be getting close to an over indulgence with things that aren't horns, drums or flags(rifles) etc..What bad thing would need to happen in order  for DCI to consider altering or eliminating the 'Higher and bigger" direction currently under way?

well....what finally caused them to get serious about member safety?

26 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well....what finally caused them to get serious about member safety?

PREACH !

17 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Reminds me of people freaking out at the sport of fencing being introduced to middle or high schools.  They're stabbing/slashing each other with a 3 foot length of steel...DANGEROUS!!

Actually...the sport is far FAR safer than football if proper gear is worn and you don't do something stupid.   I fence and instruct sabre -- the most aggressive of the three weapons -- and frankly, I've taken more injuries in 2 decades of armory than in 2 decades of fencing.

Took it as an gym elective in college. Think every unathletic half co-ordinated student was trying to get in. I have a bad eye and zero depth perception so was safer than getting balls thrown to me. Lol have to be the Incredible Hulk to be able to stab someone with the knob with the rubber tip at the end of the sword. 

Other elective was swimming.... for me safer than trying to judge distance at something coming to me.

moral: learn to know what you’re talking about before you claim safety issues

4 hours ago, MikeD said:

Sure. 

Let's make sure you are sure.Take away the props from Bluecoats in 2016, Blue Devils in 2017, SCV in 2018, have them do the same or similar things on the ground with the same quality, and they still win with the same scoring; are you 'sure'?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Let's make sure you are sure.Take away the props from Bluecoats in 2016, Blue Devils in 2017, SCV in 2018, have them do the same or similar things on the ground with the same quality, and they still win with the same scoring; are you 'sure'?

<crickets>