Is the quest for high G.E becoming too dangerous

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 4:28 PM, Stu said:

It should be a given that in a marching music ensemble you may get injured on a sudden direction change, a flag or other tossed implement hit; or something from a repetitive instrument performance. It should also be a given that in a modern DCI BOA acrobatic circus type show you may get injured while spinning in a gyroscope after bouncing on a highwire then rolling down a ramp into a box made to break apart upon impact which in turn releases simulated dry-ice fog.

This sounds awesome. I am picturing a wild drum feature leading into Danny Boy right when the dry-ice fog is released.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

How do you know that a let's say an18.4 at that show from the GE or Field Vis judge would not have been a 18.7 had they used the props? YOU DON'T. YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE. 

The poster that said they didn't lower the score is also clueless. Lower it from what? The night before? That was a different contest in a different environment that could have had other issues both good and bad to contribute to the score they got that specific night.

I contacted someone definitely in the know, so now I know. As it applies to shows performed in situations where the staff deems it unsafe to use stages, ladders, slides, steps, etc in weather related situations, understanding is provided to them. The corps still needs to perform at their highest level possible, but safety is considered paramount if rain or mist is present. So no dings or knocks are applied for missing props in those situations. You can believe me or not that I contacted this in the know person, that is your perogative, but that was the info provided. And yes I am sure.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, ElSuarez said:

This sounds awesome. I am picturing a wild drum feature leading into Danny Boy right when the dry-ice fog is released.

With bagpipes!!!  :laughing:

3 hours ago, ElSuarez said:

You know, that sounds like something 27 would do. We pretty much did do it (without the dry ice ... and gyroscopes ... and high wires ... and ramps ... and break apart boxes). But I can definitely see 27 doing it.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

9 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Heck... if the Cavies could make Mars and My Way work, then anything's possible!!!  LOL

It took until San Antonio until that really grew on me, but after that, i was sold, and live, it was an ####### tastic

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Would they be using the stages, jungle-gyms, stairs, high-wire acts, ladders, human spinning machines, etc if it 'lowered' their score? Nope! They use them to increase GE. So, um, we do have a clue!

well, didn't seem to help Bluecoats going from 1st in 16 to 5th in 17

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stu said:

And it was also posted that the judges choose not to lower the score based on weather related safety issues. So, um, we still have a clue.

give me the dates, I'll look on Press Box. just because the total number may not have changed it doesn't mean individual sheets didn't change

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

You know, that sounds like something 27 would do. We pretty much did do it (without the dry ice ... and gyroscopes ... and high wires ... and ramps ... and break apart boxes). But I can definitely see 27 doing it.

you had fog in 94

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

give me the dates, I'll look on Press Box. just because the total number may not have changed it doesn't mean individual sheets didn't change

The show cited was Fort Wayne, Indiana - July 8th, 2014.  Looks like all of their visual caption scores were in their expected slots, as if nothing was amiss.

14 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

Who says that the score would not have been higher if they had used the props on that day in that contest? This whole argument is stupid because it presumes something (judge intent with score in that specific contest on that specific day) that no one here has one clue about. 

13 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

But you are speaking of a specific contest where a corps used their props in an alternate and not intended way due to atmospheric conditions. Someone stated that scores didn't change. I'm making the point that you have ZERO clue if in fact the scores at that contest on that day in that stadium during that unique performance would or would not have been higher had they been able to use their props. So my statement that you have no clue is one of fact. 

12 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

How do you know that a let's say an18.4 at that show from the GE or Field Vis judge would not have been a 18.7 had they used the props? YOU DON'T. YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE. 

The poster that said they didn't lower the score is also clueless. Lower it from what? The night before? That was a different contest in a different environment that could have had other issues both good and bad to contribute to the score they got that specific night.

Scores are already in the realm of subjective opinion, so you have no basis on which to dismiss other opinions categorically.  We have plenty of "clues" from our own observations, eyewitness accounts of others, and the documented caption scores.