Is the quest for high G.E becoming too dangerous

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah at 6'3" 265 ( yeah down 74 pounds now), size is usually not something I have to discuss except for in bleacher seating when I had to apologize to my neighbors. I'm doing less of that now

Is this a matter for the au courant DCI safety issues folks? A girth of issues has been raised here.

(It is rumored that one of the most traditional New England contests is no longer with us partially due to the fact that bleacher seats at that high school stadium were frequently oversold. It seems that when numbering seats on each bench the freshman girls gym class was used as the standard when perhaps basing seating on the varsity football fathers would have been more appropriate.  There was no back-up plane to provide enough seating for those who arrived late.  I wonder if the same deficient template might have been shared at J. Birney Crum. Contest committees please take note.)

Edited by xandandl

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

"Travel tired" coming from Lisle, IL, two days earlier?

sometimes if you've had a series of long rides, it  can take a day or two til the body adjusts and you get some delayed lag. For example, last fall I judged a show on Saturday outside of Westminster Maryland, then the next day in South Jersey outside of Philly. A lot of time in the car and out in the wind. Monday I was fine, i still had adrenaline, but Tuesday, i couldn't get out of bed if you paid me

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Is this a matter for the au courant DCI safety issues folks? A girth of issues has been raised here.

(It is rumored that one of the most traditional New England contests is no longer with us partially due to the fact that bleacher seats at that high school stadium were frequently oversold. It seems that when numbering seats on each bench the freshman girls gym class was used as the standard when perhaps basing seating on the varsity football fathers would have been more appropriate.  There was no back-up plane to provide enough seating for those who arrived late.  I wonder if the same deficient template might have been shared at J. Birney Crum. Contest committees please take note.)

Allentowns seats are permanently marked, and aren't oversold. the biggest issues there are people that feel the need to man-spread, and sneak people in with them or scammers.

55 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

sometimes if you've had a series of long rides, it  can take a day or two til the body adjusts and you get some delayed lag. 

Blue Devils 2014 tour leading into Ft. Wayne:

• 7/3 Cedarburg, WI
  • 7/5 Whitewater, WI
  • 7/6 Lisle, IL
  • 7/8 Ft. Wayne, IN

None of those are long rides.

12 minutes ago, xandandl said:

hence the nickname The Canaries as in, as in "slim as a canary."

Have to schedule events when they are Huskies

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

• 7/3 Cedarburg, WI
  • 7/5 Whitewater, WI
  • 7/6 Lisle, IL
  • 7/8 Ft. Wayne, IN

Maybe not long bus rides; but when I was involved in drum corps it would have been typical bus pushes! 😕

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Maybe not long bus rides; but when I was involved in drum corps it would have been typical bus pushes! 😕

My local junior corps had its own buses from about 1973 on... we were fortunate to have a good crew of volunteers who took care of those vehicles. I don't remember any major problems.

Of course, we also didn't do any nationwide touring. Trips to New England, Ohio, and Michigan... that was about it. The rest, local NJ/PA/NY stuff. 

So, to sum up... our corps pretty much sucked some years, but at least we had good transportation!!!  :laughing:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

• 7/3 Cedarburg, WI
  • 7/5 Whitewater, WI
  • 7/6 Lisle, IL
  • 7/8 Ft. Wayne, IN

Sometimes, a group pushes hard, and because they work and try so hard, just get tired and need a bit of time to refresh that's my guess. Just happens. I think we've all had that experience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

My local junior corps had its own buses from about 1973 on... we were fortunate to have a good crew of volunteers who took care of those vehicles. I don't remember any major problems.

Of course, we also didn't do any nationwide touring. Trips to New England, Ohio, and Michigan... that was about it. The rest, local NJ/PA/NY stuff. 

So, to sum up... our corps pretty much sucked some years, but at least we had good transportation!!!  :laughing:

But how was the food?

• Haha 1