Has Wayne Downey retired?

In recent years John Meehan has been listed as caption head and arranger. Until 2017 Wayne Downey was also listed, but on the mobile app the last year listed for Wayne was 2017. Has he retired?

3 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

I think he;s entitled if he has.

Certainly, just a simple question.

38 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Certainly, just a simple question.

And a good one. Been wondering the same thing.

I read someplace that he had quietly stepped down from Devs.  

51 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Shawn Glyde (84 aux perc) has been doing a large chunk of the writing in recent years.

Did he take over for Dave Glyde? According to the app, Shawn is the drum set arranger. I know Dave had been doing the bulk of the writing, with Wayne orchestrating things for a while. Has that changed?

While they still have a great horn line, they haven't been quite the same I think since Wayne stepped away.  I'm afraid that Carolina Crown now rules the roost of horn lines.  Through all the Downey years I always felt like the BD horn line just commanded your attention more than any other in the activity.  They were always just a notch cleaner and more powerful than the others.  And I think Wayne knew how to write in a way that accentuated their abilities.  They are still awesome, but now Crown has the same impact on me that BD used to have.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bayareafan said:

And I think Wayne knew how to write in a way that accentuated their abilities.   

To me, that was the key to their success, plus the great soloists.  Yes, they had great talent, but his writing separated them from the other top corps.

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

Did he take over for Dave Glyde? According to the app, Shawn is the drum set arranger. I know Dave had been doing the bulk of the writing, with Wayne orchestrating things for a while. Has that changed?

Possible...I may have it mixed up.