Has Wayne Downey retired?

11 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

And a good one. Been wondering the same thing.

And an exSunrisers one of the best

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, xandandl said:

don't leave out the Smithtown Freelancers where it all began before his sojourn to SCV before BD.

He's had quite the career.

13 hours ago, bayareafan said:

While they still have a great horn line, they haven't been quite the same I think since Wayne stepped away.  

He’s only been gone for one full season. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bayareafan said:

While they still have a great horn line, they haven't been quite the same I think since Wayne stepped away.  I'm afraid that Carolina Crown now rules the roost of horn lines.  Through all the Downey years I always felt like the BD horn line just commanded your attention more than any other in the activity.  They were always just a notch cleaner and more powerful than the others.  And I think Wayne knew how to write in a way that accentuated their abilities.  They are still awesome, but now Crown has the same impact on me that BD used to have.

Crown can be consistently number one in brass, as long as BD is consistently world champs.

• Like 4

This has to be one of the quietest retirements of a drum corps legend that I can remember.

Hands down, one of the best ever at his craft for so many years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Crown can be consistently number one in brass, as long as BD is consistently world champs.

Nah - BD can never have enough Otts.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, dhawtho1 said:

I have wondered if todays style of drum corps music doesn't suit his arranging style.  Musical gymnastics versus what he had done for years.

yes, DCI culture has changed in many aspects and issues compared to past DCI seasons on and off the field. New blood is addressing those changes almost everywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dhawtho1 said:

I have wondered if todays style of drum corps music doesn't suit his arranging style.  Musical gymnastics versus what he had done for years.

This is funny...BD was the originator of chop and bob!