Has Wayne Downey retired?

Though that Don Ellis book from 1993 is arguably the best brass book to ever hit the field in DCI.  They played pretty #### well too!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sideways said:

Though that Don Ellis book from 1993 is arguably the best brass book to ever hit the field in DCI.  They played pretty #### well too!

I have been watching the 82 show lately and man was that great music!

Edited by derek005
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sideways said:

Oh man that 93 book........amazing!!! But i still think BDs 1991 brass is the most powerful hornline ever assembled. But yes............give me some Don Ellis any day of the week!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, flugelswerebugels said:

Nah - BD can never have enough Otts.

Oh i hear you! Don't get me wrong, i love when BD brings home Ott's/Sanford's etc. But if push came to shove, give me gold medals all day long. I can't tell you who won brass in 1995, but i know who the world champs are that particular year etc.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I loved their ‘85 show, especially the ELP.  I just about wore out that album.   I think they won brass that year, too. 

Maybe explain to the 'young uns who lurk that the ELP on a drum corps thread isn't the same thing as the EPL used currently in DCI lingo for most corps in THIS century.

ELP= Emerson, Lake, (&) Palmer.

EPL= Eat, Pack, Load (the buses)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

He's still listed in the BD staff as a creative consultant. He's not officially retired but for years has not had that hands on arranger. David Glyde is officially the music director and arranger. I don't think he will ever announce a retirement thing but my gosh he's been around this activity since the early 70's first with Santa Clara and now BD. Him and Ott were the standard of what arranging for DCI brass programs were and are. Look at the decades...he's had to adjust to different eras over the decades from the 70's to the 2000's. 

12 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

He's still listed in the BD staff as a creative consultant. He's not officially retired but for years has not had that hands on arranger. David Glyde is officially the music director and arranger. I don't think he will ever announce a retirement thing but my gosh he's been around this activity since the early 70's first with Santa Clara and now BD. Him and Ott were the standard of what arranging for DCI brass programs were and are. Look at the decades...he's had to adjust to different eras over the decades from the 70's to the 2000's. 

As has Scott Johnson BD percussion. Incredible to think of the years these guys have in with one organization through all the years and their ability to adapt. 

31 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

As has Scott Johnson BD percussion. Incredible to think of the years these guys have in with one organization through all the years and their ability to adapt. 

It's too bad that some designers in the activity haven't had the same success as times have changed.