tesmusic

Has Wayne Downey retired?

Recommended Posts

Though that Don Ellis book from 1993 is arguably the best brass book to ever hit the field in DCI.  They played pretty #### well too!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sideways said:

Though that Don Ellis book from 1993 is arguably the best brass book to ever hit the field in DCI.  They played pretty #### well too!

I have been watching the 82 show lately and man was that great music!

Edited by derek005
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sideways said:

Though that Don Ellis book from 1993 is arguably the best brass book to ever hit the field in DCI.  They played pretty #### well too!

Oh man that 93 book........amazing!!! But i still think BDs 1991 brass is the most powerful hornline ever assembled. But yes............give me some Don Ellis any day of the week!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved their ‘85 show, especially the ELP.  I just about wore out that album.   I think they won brass that year, too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, flugelswerebugels said:

Nah - BD can never have enough Otts.

Oh i hear you! Don't get me wrong, i love when BD brings home Ott's/Sanford's etc. But if push came to shove, give me gold medals all day long. I can't tell you who won brass in 1995, but i know who the world champs are that particular year etc.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I loved their ‘85 show, especially the ELP.  I just about wore out that album.   I think they won brass that year, too. 

Maybe explain to the 'young uns who lurk that the ELP on a drum corps thread isn't the same thing as the EPL used currently in DCI lingo for most corps in THIS century.

ELP= Emerson, Lake, (&) Palmer.

EPL= Eat, Pack, Load (the buses)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's still listed in the BD staff as a creative consultant. He's not officially retired but for years has not had that hands on arranger. David Glyde is officially the music director and arranger. I don't think he will ever announce a retirement thing but my gosh he's been around this activity since the early 70's first with Santa Clara and now BD. Him and Ott were the standard of what arranging for DCI brass programs were and are. Look at the decades...he's had to adjust to different eras over the decades from the 70's to the 2000's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

He's still listed in the BD staff as a creative consultant. He's not officially retired but for years has not had that hands on arranger. David Glyde is officially the music director and arranger. I don't think he will ever announce a retirement thing but my gosh he's been around this activity since the early 70's first with Santa Clara and now BD. Him and Ott were the standard of what arranging for DCI brass programs were and are. Look at the decades...he's had to adjust to different eras over the decades from the 70's to the 2000's. 

As has Scott Johnson BD percussion. Incredible to think of the years these guys have in with one organization through all the years and their ability to adapt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

As has Scott Johnson BD percussion. Incredible to think of the years these guys have in with one organization through all the years and their ability to adapt. 

It's too bad that some designers in the activity haven't had the same success as times have changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.