Blue Knights 2019 Tour Schedule

• 1 month later...

So...I was looking at the tour schedule and noticed that BK is doing a very abbreviated series of shows in California.  Only three of them and all in southern California.  This is a big departure from the past when they would do shows all over the state.

I also noticed that BK's first show is Jun. 28.  This is about a week later than normal.

I'm not sure about the last couple years, but in the past BK members had a free day in San Francisco.  I suppose they won't be doing that this year since they won't be in the area.  If they have a free day in CA, then the only time they could do it would be after the Western Corps Connection show in San Bernardino and before the Rogue DCI show in Ashland OR.

So...a couple questions:

Why the reduced number of shows in CA?

Why the later start?  Will their send-off show be later, as well?

Will they have a free day in CA?  Where?  And why aren't they doing it in San Francisco anymore?

Are there any BK insiders here who can shed light on this?

Btw surprised no one has mentioned that BK has hired new visual and drill caption heads. Both seem to be very much steeped in BD. Maybe one of the best musical corps in DCI will finally fulfill their potential and put a leading edge visual show on the field. Would be so awesome to see another corps become a perennial medal contender.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Btw surprised no one has mentioned that BK has hired new visual and drill caption heads. Both seem to be very much steeped in BD. Maybe one of the best musical corps in DCI will finally fulfill their potential and put a leading edge visual show on the field. Would be so awesome to see another corps become a perennial medal contender.

To me, they’ve always been the corps I’ve wanted to see move up. BK has one of my favorite brass sounds, just enough edge. That’s the type of sound I like on a football field as opposed to a concert hall. Hope things work out well with the new staff additions. 

I am not a BK insider.  But corps in general are cutting back a bit on number of shows this year as part of the focus on participant safety/wellness.  Since BK has (at times) had difficulty completing their show in time for the first California weekend, and they have these staff changes too, it might make sense for them to make their cutback in this way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I am not a BK insider.  But corps in general are cutting back a bit on number of shows this year as part of the focus on participant safety/wellness.  Since BK has (at times) had difficulty completing their show in time for the first California weekend, and they have these staff changes too, it might make sense for them to make their cutback in this way.

hasn't weather this Spring also been a factor in Colorado.  A snow storm for Mother's Day weekend is even late for them.  Sounds like prudent and realistic scheduling.

22 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

BK is in the top 3 of year-to-year placement consistency. Putting upward pressure on their solid foundation bodes well for their future.

• Like 1

They have consistently underperformed visually. It’s not that they can’t march, it’s that their shows lack a compelling visual concept. They need a designer who can comprehend and design to a huge football field, and who understands the three act concept of live events. My hope is that they will finally put visual on par with their phenomenal musical work and make that next big step.

• Like 2