Success in DCA

Since, well probably 2007, one hotly discussed topic on here is "how can anyone catch the Bucs?" After throwing out all of the various conspiracy theories that abound, it comes down to planning...and this is why the Bucs are #1 if not #2 twice since 2005.

I saw a post online this past weekend, that as of 3/24, they had played a full music run through of the full show, and were out starting drill. In March. I see nothing from them looking to fill holes. So that means the design team does their homework very early, they recruit like madmen, and the winter camps are extremely productive. 

Which is why they come out in June ready to start deep cleaning in addition to any additions/changes or tweaks they see that need to be made, when others are still filling in holes, finishing the drill....and then sometime in late July digging in for deep cleaning/tweaks/changes. 

It's not rocket science. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Since, well probably 2007, one hotly discussed topic on here is "how can anyone catch the Bucs?" After throwing out all of the various conspiracy theories that abound, it comes down to planning...and this is why the Bucs are #1 if not #2 twice since 2005.

I saw a post online this past weekend, that as of 3/24, they had played a full music run through of the full show, and were out starting drill. In March. I see nothing from them looking to fill holes. So that means the design team does their homework very early, they recruit like madmen, and the winter camps are extremely productive. 

Which is why they come out in June ready to start deep cleaning in addition to any additions/changes or tweaks they see that need to be made, when others are still filling in holes, finishing the drill....and then sometime in late July digging in for deep cleaning/tweaks/changes. 

It's not rocket science. 

Well said.

Looking forward to seeing them at their Spring Preview indoor show May 11.

Since 2005 there have been a few times at that show... well... the season was all but over, halfway through their performance.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

It's not rocket science. 

Yep.  i understand there are more than a few former C2 members who wanted to remain in DCA and have found a new home with the Bucs. 

Edited by ykw
  • Like 1

I’m just happy to see some DCA chatter on here! Thank you, Jeff.

I’m someone who refuses to do Facebook, Twitter, and all the others. So, I probably miss a lot. DCP for me all the way. This, and private conversations, of course.  

As to this subject, I have heard good things about the Bucs from a few people who have attended their practices. I am told they did have a high turnout of brass and percussion players. One of the practices showed 65 brass players with several absentees. Rumored about a 10 brass candidates from Cadets2. Unknown former Cadets2 percussion candidates. No idea about Guard, nor numbers who will actually take the field in each group. Also haven’t heard which specific music titles are being played. 

Not surprised there were interested Cadets2 people. At times, Cadets2 held their own practices within a 20 mile radius of Reading, so not much of a change in distance in that.

At this point, all I will predict is a Top 5 finish. Sorry.

Best wishes to all.

• Like 1

It appears many C2 alum found homes in many places, which is a good thing

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

It appears many C2 alum found homes in many places, which is a good thing

Having met several, more than folks realize gravitated to the Bucs over the past few years and have enjoyed both experiences for what they both brought to the table.

And let’s not discount the fact that every year the Bucs show comes off the drawing board in first place.  The only corps who shows inventive, outside the box design, which is closest to the paradigm of modern drum corps, are the Bushwackers.  But they just always seem to not draw a membership.  When you look at a lot of the other programs, from corps who want to contend, they are finished before they start!

Edited by VOReason

41 minutes ago, VOReason said:

And let’s not discount the fact that every year the Bucs show comes off the drawing board in first place.  The only corps who shows inventive, outside the box design, which is closest to the paradigm of modern drum corps, are the Bushwackers.  But they just always seem to not draw a membership.  When you look at a lot of the other programs, from corps who want to contend, they are finished before they start!

I agree about Bucs and Bush... but I would add Atlanta CV to the "inventive" list based on their past few programs.

And C2 certainly showed you don't necessarily have to be "inventive, out of the box" to do quite well in recent years.  Especially 2016.

Good to see you back here, VO!!!  We missed your unique view of life on this planet.  LOL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, VOReason said:

It took Bush a bit to get their ducks in a row design-wise recently. The "Picasso" show was definitely one of my top 2 favorites from last year, especially when they got it together for championship weekend.

Only one thing bothering me about the upcoming season. Just one.

16 minutes ago, BigW said:

It took Bush a bit to get their ducks in a row design-wise recently. The "Picasso" show was definitely one of my top 2 favorites from last year, especially when they got it together for championship weekend.

Only one thing bothering me about the upcoming season. Just one.

No porketta?   :tongue: