Say They'd Never Gone Away

What sort of shows/music/visuals you'd see today from these (and any others you'd care to name) sadly missed corps from the past and how successful do you think they'd be?

27th Lancers - Definitely high energy and lots and lots of props. A mid top 12 corps.

Bridgemen - Still fun and rambunctious with no apologies. Popular, but not necessarily successful. 

Anaheim Kingsmen - I could see them cutting loose from the stuff-shirted military stuff to some free flowing jazz-based production with lots of cool guard work and a tight percussion battery. Executing as well as always earns them a semi-finalist gig. 

Kilties - How many different kilt designs can they come up with year after year? Not to mention different arrangements of Auld Lang Syne. Open class all the way.  

Velvet Knights - The imagination and creativity they displayed back in the day in today's environment? They'd give the Bluecoats a run for their money. 

8 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

What sort of shows/music/visuals you'd see today from these (and any others you'd care to name) sadly missed corps from the past and how successful do you think they'd be?

27th Lancers - Definitely high energy and lots and lots of props. A mid top 12 corps.

Bridgemen - Still fun and rambunctious with no apologies. Popular, but not necessarily successful. 

Anaheim Kingsmen - I could see them cutting loose from the stuff-shirted military stuff to some free flowing jazz-based production with lots of cool guard work and a tight percussion battery. Executing as well as always earns them a semi-finalist gig. 

Kilties - How many different kilt designs can they come up with year after year? Not to mention different arrangements of Auld Lang Syne. Open class all the way.  

Velvet Knights - The imagination and creativity they displayed back in the day in today's environment? They'd give the Bluecoats a run for their money. 

Great stuff.  Nice to think of all the "what if" scenarios.

The Kilties in the 1970s did their share of traditional tunes... like Auld Lang Syne... but also some cutting-edge stuff.  Their 1972 show featuring pieces from "Pictures at an Exhibition" was brilliant, IMO... and their Jethro Tull ""The Third Hoorah" opener from 1975, and various other rock tunes from 1973 and '74, also were really cool.  If they were to continue in that ahead-of-the-curve direction, they might fare well today.

Edited by Fran Haring

• 3 weeks later...

I think at some point these corps would have, sadly, faded away. 

Would Anaheim have been to get back into the top 12? They hung on till 1986 I think, but their best years were well behind them. I saw them in 1972 at US Open and then 10 years later at same show and still loved their brass sound!

27th I miss still! Was the loss of George Z to Cadets the end?

Bridgemen and Bobby Hoffman and crew. Without the guiding light........