I'm boycotting DCI until bugles are made mandatory

7 minutes ago, DrumCorpsLover said:

This thread isn't about george hopkins though I think he deserves to be allowed back into the activity. This thread is about staying true to the original drum corps that we all loved, not this amplified abomination that drum corps has turned into

So what years are the “original drum corps you knew and loved”? I’ve had someone accuse me of not being in a “real” drum corps like he was but will let you guess on their era and mine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrumCorpsLover said:

the 70s-80s. Its been all downhill since then. 

Then according to the guy I swapped posts with you weren’t in a “real”corps either. IOW no Color Pre, no starting line, no ending line which were gone in early 70s. 

Imo it’s all subjective... and have a nice collection of audio,video and horns before my time to compare my era.

My eras performing.... 74-79 (piston/rotor), 84-85 (2v) and 2004-2011 (3v) all G.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

29 minutes ago, DrumCorpsLover said:

the 70s-80s. Its been all downhill since then. 

It’s too bad we do not have the old issues of “Drum Corps News” available on line. I believe DCX is working on it. I’d love people to read what must have been a July 1978 issue. Some people were infuriated after DCI East and CYO Nationals in 1978. The shows were too modern, corps no longer played “songs,” no respect for the American flag, color guards were dancing. Shows were not “clean.” A few of the culprits: Phantom, 27th, Bridgemen, Blue Stars, Garfield, North Star, Blue Devils, SCV. Some of these shows today are classic “Old School.” When I watch DVD’s, I’m most at home with the 70’s and 80’s, but I’m still using my vacation time for Indy and Allentown, and as is the case most years, I’ll be impressed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrumCorpsLover said:

This thread is about staying true to the original drum corps that we all loved, not this amplified abomination that drum corps has turned into

So, you must still be driving a chevy cavalier?

Edited by Ghost
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Tim K said:

It’s too bad we do not have the old issues of “Drum Corps News” available on line. I believe DCX is working on it. I’d love people to read what must have been a July 1978 issue. Some people were infuriated after DCI East and CYO Nationals in 1978. The shows were too modern, corps no longer played “songs,” no respect for the American flag, color guards were dancing. Shows were not “clean.” A few of the culprits: Phantom, 27th, Bridgemen, Blue Stars, Garfield, North Star, Blue Devils, SCV. Some of these shows today are classic “Old School.” When I watch DVD’s, I’m most at home with the 70’s and 80’s, but I’m still using my vacation time for Indy and Allentown, and as is the case most years, I’ll be impressed. 

I want the DCN issue where a letter writer complains about the “tink tink” marching bells on the latest DCA albums. If their defense that sound did cut thru with current recording methods and drum line elevator drills.

22 minutes ago, fireshane1 said:

I’ll just leave this here....

https://bandestration.com/2015/02/03/trumpets-part-4-the-g-trumpet-a-k-a-the-soprano-bugle/

(.....they’re not bugles)

“Only ever used in DCI...” OY!

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

funny I heard the same in the 70s from those who marched the 60s and 50s

First time I heard “that ain’t drum corps” was 1975..... some things never change