What is old is new again?

***This is not an "old is better" or "new is better" debate. I like elements of both.***

I have thought this before, but just like with clothes, sayings, TV shows, music, etc. Things always run in circles. I came across some older shows (if you can call 90's and 00's old...), and wondered at some point would we see a shift to something "new" at some point as things continue to progress and change? What I mean by this is that everything reaches a max at some point and then you start looking for something different. I wonder at what point (if ever) we will see elements of design and music in drum corps pivot like that. Where things that marchers, designers, instructors, etc have never seen on the field live will become "fresh and new" to them and there will be elements of those things show back up in shows again. I am not saying revert back to a complete show like old school drum corps but elements that would be different from some of the trends now or in the future.

Again, not saying there is anything wrong with the shows today (or in the years past), just wondering if at some point we will see, for instance, props become so normal and maxed out in shows that to do something completely unique and different, we will see shows without props. Or,  will we ever see a visual show designed so focused on drill design that it resembles the early 90's Cavies or even early 00's Cavies. Those are just some thoughts and examples. Do circles of trends even run in designing competitive drum corps/marching shows?

"Again, not saying there is anything wrong with the shows today (or in the years past), just wondering if at some point we will see, for instance, props become so normal and maxed out in shows that to do something completely unique and different, we will see shows without props. Or,  will we ever see a visual show designed so focused on drill design that it resembles the early 90's Cavies or even early 00's Cavies. Those are just some thoughts and examples. Do circles of trends even run in designing competitive drum corps/marching shows?"

Addressing the bold part with two words......I wish. Unfortunately my history of getting my wishes met is miserable, so I am not going to hold my breath. 

Give me a show with the current use of electronics and a visual show focused on drill design, and I will most certainly go bankrupt buying tickets to shows. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, deftguy said:

"Again, not saying there is anything wrong with the shows today (or in the years past), just wondering if at some point we will see, for instance, props become so normal and maxed out in shows that to do something completely unique and different, we will see shows without props. Or,  will we ever see a visual show designed so focused on drill design that it resembles the early 90's Cavies or even early 00's Cavies. Those are just some thoughts and examples. Do circles of trends even run in designing competitive drum corps/marching shows?"

I don’t see why a show is unable to use props and have cool drill. 

• Like 1

I think some "old" concepts have been sprinkled into shows recently and it has been very successful.

For example Inferno had no props except for a few banners, no use of singing or narration...etc.  Very "old school" visually.  It also utilized very old classical pieces. Yet it was so hugely popular that it won a best show of all time fan favorite poll last year.

I know it was for the purpose of an anniversary show but BDs field entrance in 2017 was one of the coolest things visually on the field that year. 

MCDC in 2018 had a great field entrance too.

Do I think shows will completely go back to early 00s Cavies for example? No. Because the emphasis of those shows was 100% visual...I do think that this type of drill could be incorporated into a new design even if only for a few moments of a show 

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1

Two things in drum corps have not changed all that much, at least in theory. One, corps always try and out do each other, and corps have shows that are created to earn the best score. So could we have shows that have fewer props that focus on drill? If that’s what the best are doing and the judges are looking for, it’s a possibility. 

However, I would say for quite a few years now what is old is new again, though it might appear to be different. There was a period not too long ago where shows were well performed and demonstrated talent, but seemed more focused on the judging sheets than anything else. People applauded and there were many fine shows,  but audiences were not riveted, at least not the way I remember being blown away in the late 70’s/early 80’s. I am seeing more of that today.

How do these various trends over the years begin?

There's seemingly always been an ebb and flow of sorts, at any competitive level of drum corps... whether it be everyone using props, no one using props, smaller snare lines, larger snare lines, emphasis on high-speed drill, emphasis on staging over velocity, etc., etc.

But how does any of this get started... in drum corps, WGI, bands, wherever?  Is it, for example,  a corps wins a championship with a smaller snare line and then everyone follows the leader... or is there some sort of consensus among staffs, or something else?

Edited by Fran Haring

12 hours ago, FTNK said:

The answer to this and every thread speculating about nostalgia shows, etc is no, drum corps will not go back in time

I never said anything about a “nostalgia show” and never asked if DCI would go back to them or go back in time.

I am talking about trends and elements.

• Like 1