DCI Minneapolis

On 4/6/2019 at 12:22 AM, Jeff Ream said:

again...not saying I am a fan. I went to Indy in 2010.....haven't been back.

But being an administrator in a band circuit, and having had to deal with some weather situations, I get the reasons why. No matter what is happening outside, finals goes on unaffected inside. I remember the mess in 94 when quarters got cancelled with what 6/7 corps left?

If nothing else this is why I’d agree with indoors. DCA had Prelims only some years back due to weather, postponed everything a day another year and dodged the bullet with the track Hurricane Ernesto took in 2006(?). Prelims weather was so bad the video crew packed it in couple of corps from the end to save their equipment. (CV prelims is silent at the end)

Don’t think lot of people realize how flat out lucky DCI has been with Finals week weather

edit: and DCA Finals 1975 paused twice due to rain. After last corps finished the heavens opened up for rest of the night. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

I look at it this way, IF DCI Finals is ever to be televised again on a major network, the entire production and performances need to come off without a hitch. There must be a guarantee of a controlled environment. No high winds to mess up guard work, no rain to eliminate electronics, comfy conditions for big-time sponsors, special pre-show lighting and other special effects, etc.

Indy is just fine.

• Like 1

As a 30 veteran of DCI East a have to say over the years we have been reasonably lucky with the weather at Allentown. That being said last summers Friday night rain-out really hurt. For that reason I will return to Indy this year knowing that despite the cost, travel, and dome I will see all the top corps. 

On 4/7/2019 at 2:25 PM, Fred Windish said:

I look at it this way, IF DCI Finals is ever to be televised again on a major network, the entire production and performances need to come off without a hitch. There must be a guarantee of a controlled environment. No high winds to mess up guard work, no rain to eliminate electronics, comfy conditions for big-time sponsors, special pre-show lighting and other special effects, etc.

Indy is just fine.

Annnnd that funky think called keeping to a tight time schedule.... 

On 4/7/2019 at 2:25 PM, Fred Windish said:

Indy is just fine.

I've said this before elsewhere... but the older I get, the more I like the idea of being in an indoor stadium.  LOL. No sun beating down... no rain... air conditioning... all good.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

I've said this before elsewhere... but the older I get, the more I like the idea of being in an indoor stadium.  LOL. No sun beating down... no rain... air conditioning... all good.

And, I guess, the hearing starts to go as we get older, so bad sound doesn't matter as much either, can't hear it. 

Not my case though - I have my hearing checked every year and it has not diminished much for the last 50 yrs and I want to keep it that way by avoiding excessive loud sounds.  Read indoor Drum Corps contests.  Even the outdoor contests can be too loud, especially with amplification.

7 hours ago, Bob P. said:

And, I guess, the hearing starts to go as we get older, so bad sound doesn't matter as much either, can't hear it. 

From my days with a local-circuit junior corps, I am quite familiar with bad sound... including some made by my own corps!!!  :tongue:  Some of the corps we saw back then... I'm not sure they knew which end of the instruments to blow into. LOL

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to see DCI Minnesota swirling the drain - it was not a good venue for drum corps - Minneapolis is a nice community for hosting drum corps shows - but there isn't a good venue available - the new MN Vikings practice facility could potentially be a good field - but half of the equation is the logistics around the show site - 

TCF Bank has lots of surface parking lots within a mile or the stadium, but the new Vikings stadium in downtown does not have enough surface space for the trucks and semis - let alone warmups -- 

The Twin Cities is a nice place for drum corps to rehearse because there are a few large high schools with turf football fields - 

But as far as a show - outside of the larger HS football fields, I don't see it happening because of the logistics in and around the stadiums -- 

So we need a catch name for the new Menomonie show - how about: 

Menomonop - Menomonie March!

On 4/8/2019 at 9:58 PM, Fran Haring said:

Yep. Ditto. 

• Like 2