A year ago today

I feel that the member corps have by and large, taken a proactive approach to plug the holes in their own policies and prcedures BEFORE something happens. It's been a long year and IMHO, productive for the individual corps regarding the issues raised. 

DCI as an organization seems to be just now coming out of crisis management mode. It's difficult to look forward at what could happen when you're trying to put out the fires which are burning from yesterday. My hope is that all the right people are either in place already or are being put in place to prevent anything like this happening again. DCI needs a "preventer" not a "fixer."

49 minutes ago, BigW said:

Very, very true. I think Jeff, when I write, I use DCI or DCI HQ to denote the 'governing entity' (governing being a pretty gray area!) and 'member corps' to be more specific on that.

I see DCI as a bottom-up organization because of that very structure, and the solutions have to be reached and developed from that bottom/'member corps'. The top might have ideas to bring to the table, and I hope they have them and mention them, but yeah... the 'member corps' would have to agree with them.

and as that bottom up, remember Dan is not all powerful. he does the boards bidding

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

and as that bottom up, remember Dan is not all powerful. he does the boards bidding

I think that has been a major issue of confusion for many people used to a more controlling from the top structure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes housing site problems occured after the story broke; but that is not evidence of direct cause/effect of the release of the story. Housing drops, even within 24 hours causing panic, have happened for many years. A written or verbal statement from the person in charge of the site stating that was the reason, now that would be direct cause/effect evidence. Otherwise it would be speculation or third party hear say.

it has made securing housing harder thats for sure. and to be honest....schools will often make up a reason for they they say no...or just not give a reason...because they can.  I know of two school last summer that told corps it was due to overnight guests. The real reason they told the directors was because of the news.

1 hour ago, BigW said:

The question on my mind is this... should this be dictated by DCI HQ top down... or... should the members develop their own plans and implement them? With that, maybe some re-invent the wheel. Maybe some of the corps will have something that provides a template and working example for the other members to more easily implement. I have no perfect answer.

experts in the field should do the developing

DCI HQ directs all corps to develop plans to follow thru on the procedures. If a corps has their own procedures those procedures should have everything the DCI procedures mandate. If there are more then great.

Input from members if they feeling something is missing or unclear. Or if they just don’t think something is working or could be done better

And again annual review by experts and DCI to keep up with changes or strengthen shortcomings. And using member input as guidance also. 

Edit: should have included staff with members as staff could be victims too

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

experts in the field should do the developing

DCI HQ directs all corps to develop plans to follow thru on the procedures. If a corps has their own procedures those procedures should have everything the DCI procedures mandate. If there are more then great.

Input from members if they feeling something is missing or unclear. 

And again annual review by experts and DCI to keep up with changes or strengthen shortcomings

Was thinking loosely along those lines- for instance, If I had a responsible position in a corps and wanted to make sure the members had the best nutrition possible for the demands of the tour, I'd go to an expert in it and get concrete answers. I'd be the last person to come up with that!

6 minutes ago, BigW said:

Was thinking loosely along those lines- for instance, If I had a responsible position in a corps and wanted to make sure the members had the best nutrition possible for the demands of the tour, I'd go to an expert in it and get concrete answers. I'd be the last person to come up with that!

Understood.... when developing plans it’s always smart to also get input from people who see if first hand.

Lol got put on a project dealing with an app that runs on ship. New thing to me so flat out told the people who go on the ships to troubleshoot. “hey you have experience on this and I don’t. So if I screw up correct me, I won’t be insulted”. The unspoken piece is I’m probably older than some of their parents 😫

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it has made securing housing harder thats for sure. and to be honest....schools will often make up a reason for they they say no...or just not give a reason...because they can.  I know of two school last summer that told corps it was due to overnight guests. The real reason they told the directors was because of the news.

My guess, yep guess, is that there was not a huge spike in housing drops across the 2018 season compared to 2017. But the news did add yet another excuse the ever increasing multitude of reasons on the list where housing has become more of a problem year by year by year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Understood.... when developing plans it’s always smart to also get input from people who see if first hand.

Lol got put on a project dealing with an app that runs on ship. New thing to me so flat out told the people who go on the ships to troubleshoot. “hey you have experience on this and I don’t. So if I screw up correct me, I won’t be insulted”. The unspoken piece is I’m probably older than some of their parents 😫

Well, yeah! they've been on a ship, they know the drill. Much like the Brass and percussion companies build the equipment and then let a corps beat it up and test it so the actual users and staffs have input on the product.

• Like 1

I agree that a number of corps organizations have taken steps to be proactive.

I don't feel the same about DCI.

I see them as having hunkered down, and weathered the storm.

Despite all the outrage expressed on places like DCP ,there haven't been any changes to their organizational structure,most most notably the Board of Directors.

There also haven't been any changes "at the top".

Unless I missed it,Dan is still there.

I also haven't seen DCI making any effort to be Drum Corps' true governing body.

Just my $0.02

• Like 1