A year ago today

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

My guess, yep guess, is that there was not a huge spike in housing drops across the 2018 season compared to 2017. But the news did add yet another excuse the ever increasing multitude of reasons on the list where housing has become more of a problem year by year by year.

Confused by use of “excuse” and “reason”. Around my area have seen couple of reasons why school board members do not want “outsiders” to use “taxpayers” facilities. If not wanting to allow a group that has been involved in a sex scandal access gets added to the mix is that an “excuse” or “reason”. 

18 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I also haven't seen DCI making any effort to be Drum Corps' true governing body.

They can't without consent of the members to allow them that greater power. There's the rub.

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I’ve been pleased so far with YEA’s response plus their tough decisions to shift toward building a stronger foundation for the future 

It sucks that C2 had to go... DCA lost a major headliner. 

But i understand why, and credit to the YEA crew for making some tough decisions to keep the ship afloat.

look what it took for dci to go from 100% hands-off regarding roman to banning his corps because he wouldn't get his filthy hands off of it.  we're talking about a guy who attacked staff and marchers for even thinking about using dci's feckless "reporting" system. 

2 years of dci going from "we don't police individual corps" to "Pio's board got rid of Roman, so that's done" to "oh wait, Pio's board didn't get rid of Roman, oops" to "okay, if you're all going to keep complaining, we, the governing agency of dci will finally step in".

maybe it'll be a catalyst to get dci to start being proactive instead of reactive, but i am dubious.  everything they've done has been the weather the storm approach.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lance said:

look what it took for dci to go from 100% hands-off regarding roman to banning his corps because he wouldn't get his filthy hands off of it.  we're talking about a guy who attacked staff and marchers for even thinking about using dci's feckless "reporting" system. 

2 years of dci going from "we don't police individual corps" to "Pio's board got rid of Roman, so that's done" to "oh wait, Pio's board didn't get rid of Roman, oops" to "okay, if you're all going to keep complaining, we, the governing agency of dci will finally step in".

maybe it'll be a catalyst to get dci to start being proactive instead of reactive, but i am dubious.  everything they've done has been the weather the storm approach.  

I still read it as Romans corps got banned because Roman defied DCI after things publicly hit the fan. Kind of like Arsenal’s former head spouting off in public (aka on line).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

23 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

It sucks that C2 had to go... DCA lost a major headliner. 

But i understand why, and credit to the YEA crew for making some tough decisions to keep the ship afloat.

Yup! Perhaps they will return 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I still read it as Romans corps got banned because Roman defied DCI after things publicly hit the fan. Kind of like Arsenal’s former head spouting off in public (aka on line).

I believe changes were demanded in the BoD composition and they flatly refused. That simple. The lynchpin was touched on above, the clear violation of one of the big ones in the Code. To be honest, I think things would have ended up being muddled through and the corps would still be in DCI if not for the threats made if anyone reported but that's my personal thoughts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

I agree that a number of corps organizations have taken steps to be proactive.

I don't feel the same about DCI.

I see them as having hunkered down, and weathered the storm.

Despite all the outrage expressed on places like DCP ,there haven't been any changes to their organizational structure,most most notably the Board of Directors.

There also haven't been any changes "at the top".

Unless I missed it,Dan is still there.

I also haven't seen DCI making any effort to be Drum Corps' true governing body.

Just my $0.02

Umm...

1 hour ago, BigW said:

They can't without consent of the members to allow them that greater power. There's the rub.

That is the rub indeed. I was hoping that movement toward empowering DCI HQ to effectively step in sooner in known situations such as we have witnessed would have occurred at the Januals — perhaps a complete reorganization or at least updating of the DCI model to reflect the times. That is my biggest complaint.

• Thanks 1