A year ago today

47 minutes ago, Lance said:

look what it took for dci to go from 100% hands-off regarding roman to banning his corps because he wouldn't get his filthy hands off of it.  we're talking about a guy who attacked staff and marchers for even thinking about using dci's feckless "reporting" system. 

2 years of dci going from "we don't police individual corps" to "Pio's board got rid of Roman, so that's done" to "oh wait, Pio's board didn't get rid of Roman, oops" to "okay, if you're all going to keep complaining, we, the governing agency of dci will finally step in".

maybe it'll be a catalyst to get dci to start being proactive instead of reactive, but i am dubious.  everything they've done has been the weather the storm approach.  

It’s good to be dubious. But your example WAS the catalyst. 

Today, it’s different

Edited by garfield

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

That is the rub indeed. I was hoping that movement toward empowering DCI HQ to effectively step in sooner in known situations such as we have witnessed would have occurred at the Januals — perhaps a complete reorganization or at least updating of the DCI model to reflect the times. That is my biggest complaint.

This. Is. Done.

Edit: Well, the first half of your statement anyway. 

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, garfield said:

A “complete reorganization...”?  No.

I am content knowing that movement is occurring. 

But I hope that there is a certain centralization of administrative powers to deal with member health and safety. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

Yes, the rub is this... and I'm not pointing fingers, more a view of human nature and just how things work.

One has certain discretionary powers, freedoms, whatever one chooses to call it, One should be a bit loath to surrender said powers if they haven't done anything wrong within that system. They should be skeptical. Now, does that mean the status quo is fine? Maybe, maybe not. Do the member corps need to keep hammering out something clearer? If the answer is yes, this is something that will take some serious time, politicking, cajoling, persuading, etc. A wand won't wave and fix this nor get the members to quickly agree on much of anything. I know it's been a year, but this could be an evolutionary gradual change over years that people have as the plan or vision.

Right now, no one person has that kind of power to enact immediate and sweeping change. And as I mull over that.... that might be too much of a swing in the other direction too quickly. I don't have an answer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigW said:

Yes, the rub is this... and I'm not pointing fingers, more a view of human nature and just how things work.

One has certain discretionary powers, freedoms, whatever one chooses to call it, One should be a bit loath to surrender said powers if they haven't done anything wrong within that system. They should be skeptical. Now, does that mean the status quo is fine? Maybe, maybe not. Do the member corps need to keep hammering out something clearer? If the answer is yes, this is something that will take some serious time, politicking, cajoling, persuading, etc. A wand won't wave and fix this nor get the members to quickly agree on much of anything. I know it's been a year, but this could be an evolutionary gradual change over years that people have as the plan or vision.

Right now, no one person has that kind of power to enact immediate and sweeping change. And as I mull over that.... that might be too much of a swing in the other direction too quickly. I don't have an answer.

They are skeptical, and they will remain skeptical until they can be assured that the change in control and power does not expose their organizations to more risk than they, themselves introduce. 

They are willing.  That’s the start. 

Just now, garfield said:

They are skeptical, and they will remain skeptical until they can be assured that the change in control and power does not expose their organizations to more risk than they, themselves introduce. 

They are willing.  That’s the start. 

I figured as much. The other thing... and I forgot this... When you give up and concede things, you usually will never get them back. That has to weigh on a lot of minds.

2 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I agree that a number of corps organizations have taken steps to be proactive.

I don't feel the same about DCI.

I see them as having hunkered down, and weathered the storm.

Despite all the outrage expressed on places like DCP ,there haven't been any changes to their organizational structure,most most notably the Board of Directors.

There also haven't been any changes "at the top".

Unless I missed it,Dan is still there.

I also haven't seen DCI making any effort to be Drum Corps' true governing body.

Just my $0.02

Regarding the underlined portion, I seem to recall Fred Morrison stepping down, and a new chairwoman - Kathy Black.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I agree that a number of corps organizations have taken steps to be proactive.

I don't feel the same about DCI.

I see them as having hunkered down, and weathered the storm.

Despite all the outrage expressed on places like DCP ,there haven't been any changes to their organizational structure,most most notably the Board of Directors.

There also haven't been any changes "at the top".

Unless I missed it,Dan is still there.

I also haven't seen DCI making any effort to be Drum Corps' true governing body.

Just my $0.02

There’s lots here that is simply not true.

To become more informed about what changes have occurred, I suggest you get involved with a corps to help and learn.

LOTS has changed.

EDIT: and in order to not mislead, the “outrage”, selective and otherwise, displayed on DCP and similar carried minimal weight, if any, in DCI’s decisions regarding governance structure changes.  Supervision and accountability rules changes were implemented by most corps immediately after the 2018 Janual. 

Edited by garfield