A year ago today

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

If DCI really does improve marcher safety in the coming months and years, they won't need any PR, nor website to engage in PR  re.their" improvements", nor Press Release " statements on improvements ".The improvement itself is what is needed, and the rest ( PR, Websites, DCI  Press Releases, etc ) will take care of itself. If DCI only gives lip service however to improved marcher safety, then no amount of positive spin, nor positive press releases, nor website improvements, etc will save them from an embarrassing repeat of the last 12 months in one form or another again, imo.

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

So, I'm confused then.  If what you say is true (and I believe it largely is), then does DCI need to spend money on PR to announce the improvements, or not?

And, if yes, and with the recognition that all dollars not spent on PR would likely be paid out to the corps to print their own PR, how much $ should DCI hold back from the corps to pay for the PR campaign?

After all, why is BD (for example), who has no issues made public about this subject, required to give up some payout just to repair damage they didn't cause?

(I'm not being rhetorical.)

So now that I kinda of take a 3rd and 4th look at this, I see both points with a little more clarity. In retrospect, I don't think in the current state that just correcting the problems will have an immediate enough effect to really reverse the PR issues that DCI has had in the last year. To be fair, the statement that the improvement itself is what is needed and the idea that words without action are meaningless and even harmful is completely valid. I'm just not sure that action without words is really a great direction either. 

Now to Garfield's point, you also bring some interesting and valid points to the discussion as well. I can absolutely see the point of corps who have no known issues getting a little miffed if taking a cut in advertising and PR revenue. It's a "Pay for Performance" world after all. And that performance isn't just on the field. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Because, according to some posters, apparently the people on school boards who are axing housing for all corps are idiots who blame the 50+ innocent corps for the sins of a couple. And in their eyes, BD is just as guilty, just as responsible, and must pay the consiquences due to that.

Wait, wait, wait...LOL. I have seen no reference to anyone calling the school boards or any members there of, idiots until this post. If PR revenue was shared and then cut across all corps equally because of PR issues, then that's life. Is it fair? NO. And we've said that MULTIPLE times. Not a single person that I have seen has attacked the idea that the school boards, community leaders, etc., should be taking a more holistic view of the activity instead of putting the bad press under a microscope and ignoring any gains. Unfortunately, fair just doesn't really enter into it at least from what I can see. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

Because, according to some posters, apparently the people on school boards who are axing housing for all corps are idiots who blame the 50+ innocent corps for the sins of a couple. And in their eyes, BD is just as guilty, just as responsible, and must pay the consiquences due to that.

Where did anyone say BD is guilty of anything?

personally I see it as districts feeling there is a problem within the activity. And until it is resolved why take a chance with any corps.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, garfield said:

DCI should care about the "fan" who read an article in a paper and went no further to discover the facts behind the story, why?

That person might have influence on a local school board or school district that's housing a corps this summer or hosting a contest and want it pulled. Was told my someone in the PR field/crisis management when panic sets in they react 4 years below their educational level, which kind of explains a lot of the rather dull and illogical reactions to the issue at hand from various groups. IOW, someone on a School Board that  only graduated from HS is acting at a Middle School level when dealing with a crisis.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Read my above post regarding crisis reaction from individuals. Not everyone will react in a remotely logical and rational way as you would hope they do, which is unfortunate, but true.

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

That person might have influence on a local school board or school district that's housing a corps this summer or hosting a contest and want it pulled. Was told my someone in the PR field/crisis management when panic sets in they react 4 years below their educational level, which kind of explains a lot of the rather dull and illogical reactions to the issue at hand from various groups. IOW, someone on a School Board that  only graduated from HS is acting at a Middle School level when dealing with a crisis.

I think we all have learned that crisis brings out the worst in 95% of people and the best in the other 5% of people. At this point in my life, I've been through some 20+ bomb threats and 2 active shooter scares. I'm so mute to it now, that I don't even think about it when it happens. I just go into my very relaxed and calm "get everyone out of the building and start the punch list" mode. But the 95%...they're flipping their ####. 

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Wait, wait, wait...LOL. I have seen no reference to anyone calling the school boards or any members there of, idiots until this post. If PR revenue was shared and then cut across all corps equally because of PR issues, then that's life. Is it fair? NO. And we've said that MULTIPLE times. Not a single person that I have seen has attacked the idea that the school boards, community leaders, etc., should be taking a more holistic view of the activity instead of putting the bad press under a microscope and ignoring any gains. Unfortunately, fair just doesn't really enter into it at least from what I can see. 

57 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Where did anyone say BD is guilty of anything?

personally I see it as districts feeling there is a problem within the activity. And until it is resolved why take a chance with any corps.

13 minutes ago, BigW said:

Read my above post regarding crisis reaction from individuals. Not everyone will react in a remotely logical and rational way as you would hope they do, which is unfortunate, but true.

(a) Is BD innocent and schools boards are wrong to blame them for the sins of a few others? Or.... (b) Since DCI is the corps; DCI is a collective; BD is a member corps in DCI; BD is a member of the collective; DCI is to take blame; the collective is to take blame; thus BD is to take blame and BD must then pay their part to rectify the issue? Which is it, (a) or (b)?

• Haha 1

I may have  missed it,but has anyone talked  about the December  "Failure to Protect" piece.

To me,that article was,in a number of ways,more damaging then the story about GH going public.

That article pointed out a number of systemic problems with the activity.

DCI's failure to either have their CEO be interviewed or even answer written questions did not,

based on comments made at the time,put DCI in a very good light.

That article,and follow up posts on sites like Reddit,as unreliable as they can be sometimes,

could give  school boards cause to rethink  housing corps.

I know there are a number of people on DCP with "ties" to corps or DCi.

Does anyone know what DCI has done since this article came out ?

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

(a) Is BD innocent and schools boards are wrong to blame them for the sins of a few others? Or.... (b) Since DCI is the corps; DCI is a collective; BD is a member corps in DCI; BD is a member of the collective; DCI is to take blame; the collective is to take blame; thus BD is to take blame and BD must then pay their part to rectify the issue? Which is it, (a) or (b)?

Stu... I'm exasperated. I've desperately tried to explain that even though you're more than possibly right, people don't act as rationally as you so, so, SOOOOOO... demand them to act. And because of that, DCI has to deal effectively with it and do the PR and damage control.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Both may be correct. A) is correct in regards to BD as far as we know. The same could be said for the majority of corps to the point of your previous replies. B) is also correct in the real world be it fair or not and we could again substitute many, many corps into BD's spot in the statement and it would still be relevant and STILL be not fair. But again, when did fair become the measuring stick or topic of the thread?

I still don't disagree with you. I just don't see a way to change the perceptions of others when I have no direct or indirect control.