A year ago today

53 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

How about the decision maker e.g. the superintendent simply says “no”.  He/she doesn’t owe anyone an explanation as to the reason for the “no”.  Just the way you frame the statement- “deny a corps from being hosted” - demonstrates an entitled attitude. These corps should feel darn lucky if a school allows them to stay there. What’s in it for the school, after all?  A few bucks?  The potential downside far exceeds the upside for the school. These corps aren’t entitled to anything. 

Host: One who provides hospitality to guests.

Guest: One who is a recipient to the hospitality of a host.

Hospitality: Cordial and generous disposition of a host or guest.

Please note the gracious aspects in all three; none, not host, nor guest, nor hospitality, comes anywhere close to your claim of entitlement. And I have yet to interact with a tour director of any corps who feels entitled; every one of them have felt nothing but humble gratitude toward the host and relief that the youth are taken care of.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

Please note the gracious aspects in all three; none, not host, nor guest, nor hospitality, comes anywhere close to your claim of entitlement. And I have yet to interact with a tour director of any corps who feels entitled; every one of them have felt nothing but humble gratitude toward the host and relief that the youth are taken care of.

This.

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

Think I see the issue and it’s use of “deny a corps from being hosted”. If you ask someone for something and they say no would you say you were “denied” it or that that the other person didn’t give it to you. 

Saying “denied” could sound like you did not get something you deserve.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

Check the words I put these things around:  “ “

That might help you narrow it down. Thanks for playing dumb. Also, I’m not replying to a tour director’s statement. I’m replying to your statement. 

Edited by HockeyDad

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

Boy, I sure have!  Not just "feels" entitled, but demands that everyone around, no matter the hour or circumstances, acknowledge that they're entitled and way more than deserving of every bit of extra-special treatment they're awarded.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Think I see the issue and it’s use of “deny a corps from being hosted”. If you ask someone for something and they say no would you say you were “denied” it or that that the other person didn’t give it to you. 

Saying “denied” could sound like you did not get something you deserve.

36 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Check the words I put these things around:  “ “

That might help you narrow it down. Thanks for playing dumb. Also, I’m not replying to a tour director’s statement. I’m replying to your statement. 

Request: The act of asking.

Deny: The refusal of a request.

Again, there is no implication nor inference of entitlement in the request nor the denial. Just a simple response to a request.

Edited by Stu

28 minutes ago, garfield said:

Boy, I sure have!  Not just "feels" entitled, but demands that everyone around, no matter the hour or circumstances, acknowledge that they're entitled and way more than deserving of every bit of extra-special treatment they're awarded.

I am sure they are out there and sure you have interacted with them. I just have not had that experience with any tour director.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Ok I will bring this back to my post prior to going down the perception trail. My contention is still that any school board reaching out for the remote possibility of sexual predator as an excuse to deny a corps from being hosted was/is reaching out for any excuse they can conjur up because they do/did not want the corps hosted there in the first place.

so then if it gives them a convenient excuse, it has had an effect. thank you for summing everything up 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

so then if it gives them a convenient excuse, it has had an effect. thank you for summing everything up 

But it has little impact because it is just one more convenient excuse placed on a list with hundreds of other convenient excuses. Which sums it up even more.

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

But it has little impact because it is just one more convenient excuse placed on a list with hundreds of other convenient excuses. Which sums it up even more.

1) just another straw to break the camels back

2) what’s the difference between a “convenient excuse” and an “real reason” other than opinion

And thinking about it I wouldn’t put too much trust in numbers concerning how many predators there were in the past. Too much got ignored or hidden by many groups. DCI is late getting their crap together on this.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1