A year ago today

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

If the abuse is real, file a police report.

That's a very...VERY dangerous statement. I'm just gonna sit back and watch after one more post....

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

Out of the mentoned corps, how many known convicted sexual offenders were employed? Trying to determine if this was isolated like Penn State or systemic like the Catholic Church.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlMsnNkKizk_eQSfOablO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

That's a very...VERY dangerous statement. I'm just gonna sit back and watch after one more post....

If real, not fabricated, not hear-say, but real, is not the police there to protect the innocent, the abused, the person in which a crime had been commited?

15 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

And adding to that from a corps perspective.... more than likely a minor having to file a report against an adult. And if on tour which jurisdiction(s) do you report to. Letting alone being able to do it while on tour and no longer where it happened.

Anything more than that would be out of the training and not going there..:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

If real, not fabricated, not hear-say, but real, is not the police there to protect the innocent, the abused, the person in which a crime had been commited?

A simple search will reveal BOUNDLESS research which points to why victims and survivors do not report abuse and how predators choose victims. At this point, I will let someone who has more experience than I reply with specifics if they see fit. Someone not reporting a crime does not mean the crime did not occur and we both know that. We're straying FAR off topic here so I won't reply again unless it's pertaining to the OP's original intention of the thread. 

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I agree with ya!!!! I am just contending that a school administrator who pulls it out of the hat likely did not want the corps there in the first place and it is one of many other excuses.

you're just bloviating to hear yourself talk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok thanks for the info. So if I’m reading this right the members contact someone in the corps. What was the policy if they did not feel comfortable going to the corps. That’s a biggie in our policy as useless to go to the first line (aka your boss) if they are the culprit

I can’t speak specifically for all generations but, in my day, if you didn’t get resolution from the corps people, we called our parents and/or police. 

I get your point being that DCI should provide that next level but, the evolution of that solution is a relatively new happening.  When I marched I knew there was a DCI but I never thought of that .org as somehow in my resolution chain of command. 

Edited by garfield

1 hour ago, Stu said:

You accuse DCI of a crappy track record, and it is up to the accuser to supply evidence. So, please quantify the alleged crappy track record concerning the hundreds-of-thousands who have been involved with DCI from 1972 to the present. And is that record lower, equal to, or worse than other entities with the same issues? It is up to the accuser to supply the evidence.

stories have been out there for years, some documented on various drum corps discussion groups. Remember, i brought up Scott Atchinson on here, and got crapped on by Hopkins and a lot of other people. Joel Moody was brought up on here years ago, and nothing happened. The track record of burying their head in the sand is documented because "we just run the shows"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Another stray thought clipped me gar. How long did DCI have the old policy and how often was it reviewed? Thanks

Um, again, I was just an observer but I think forever.  How often was it reviewed?  No clue.  But unless there was a reason to add a DCI-centralized policy structure, there wasn’t even a reason to consider such.