A year ago today

1 minute ago, garfield said:

OK, that's surely valid.  These few fans left who have no connection to anything electronic and only read physical newspapers.  Hmm... gee, could it be a reasonable presumption in most people that their source of news, the very newspaper where they read the story, would make an update at some point to inform its public of substantive and positive changes in the activity it butchered originally?

I would.

But that's me.

Really, what fans are we trying to attract/keep by focusing on print media to connect with the unconnected?

Does DCI gain anything of substantive value by publishing an article in the same source newspaper announcing their improvements?

Not sure how it was a butcher job if everything reported can be backed up in court documents. 

I have no idea if using same print sources is worth the effort or not. Just trying to brain storm and not even working up a drizzle

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok we have a misconnection....

I am NOT talking about people who post on social media. I AM talking about people/fans who have seen the news articles or have heard about the issues in other ways. And these people/fans do NOT follow drum corps on the internet so they have not heard of what DCI has done/is doing to fight the problem. My question is how can DCI get the good word out to those people/fans.

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

*sigh* I know what you were talking about and I hoped I was being clear that I was starting a different topic. 

to be clear: I was never discussing the poster you are referring to. 

5 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

And admittedly, I AM that person. I follow specific corps that I marched with or have some other significant connection, go to a few shows a year and attempt to either donate or volunteer as time permits. What I do NOT do is read DCI's website unless someone links to it. The only reason I go to DCI's website is in rare event that I brave buying tickets online. Is that a good thing? Nope! 

That being said, I don't formulate an opinion until I have enough information to actually feel as though I am somewhat informed. 

No, you're NOT that person he's talking about.  You post here and you can type DCI.org into your machine and find facts so, by definition, you're not the person Jim is referencing.  You are the person I'm referencing.  I think DCI should do a better job of connecting facts to you, the fan with access to digital media.  

But, carry on.  I'll try to catch up.

DCI should care about the "fan" who read an article in a paper and went no further to discover the facts behind the story, why?

11 minutes ago, garfield said:

Should DCI care about the demo you're referencing?

I’m just wondering how many butts in the seats are part of that demo.... sometimes dcp’ers and other SM users think the majority of fans are as hard core (no pun intended) as they are. 

Edit after reading post above: think left hander meant I am referring to him as he doesn’t read DCI webpage either.

as for not caring about fans who don’t dig for further facts....are we talking about what was reported at the time in the news or later as DCI set up the new policy.  (Rest of comment refers to the later) imo that’s like DCI saying if someone ELSE didn’t do the work that make DCI look better then #### em. Would be like VW getting hit by the emissions scandal a few years back and work to correct the issue. Then not publicize the changes because “it’s the consumers job to keep up to date”. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

59 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Understand this is directed more to people who claim nothing has been done. But thinking of people who would not do investigation into what has been going on inside DCI. These are the people who might have seen the bad news articles or heard from others but have no way otherwise of knowing that things have changed. Sometimes we forget that not all corps fans or potential corps fans hang or social media or dig as deep as some of us do.

Trying to think of how DCI can deal with this but coming up with nothing other than lot of PR work.

As I try to find the genesis of our derailment, I find your original point.  You were responding to my reply post to rpbobcat, who claimed that DCI had "survived" with no changes made, specifically Dan being axed.  Your point is that my point may not be so obvious to "...people [you didn't say "fan"] who would not do investigation into what has been going on inside".

From there we diverted, but our respective points are still valid:  You think DCI can receive value for being more proactive about their positive changes than simply posting said news on their website.  I think you're referencing the optics of the general activity, am I right?

Edited by garfield
spelling, frankly

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, you're NOT that person he's talking about.  You post here and you can type DCI.org into your machine and find facts so, by definition, you're not the person Jim is referencing.  You are the person I'm referencing.  I think DCI should do a better job of connecting facts to you, the fan with access to digital media.  

But, carry on.  I'll try to catch up.

I could do more research and as time permits me to do so I will. I agree that DCI should do a better job of connecting to people like me, but I also have to take some of that responsibility upon myself. I really do wish that there was an easier to manage news feed on their website but it's not like it's exactly rocket science. 

1 minute ago, garfield said:

As I try to find the genesis of our derailment, I find your original point.  You were responding to my reply post to rpbobcat, who claimed that DCI had "survived" with no changes made, specifically Dan being axed.  Your point is that my point may not be so obvious to "...people [you didn't say "fan"] who would not do investigation into what has been going on inside.

From there we diverted, but our respective points are still valid:  You think DCI can receive value for being more proactive about their positive changes than simply posted said news on their website.  I think you're referencing the optics of the general activity, am I right?

I think we got it.... 😀

And I hope DCI is looking for ways to spread the good news other than website only. My biggest worry with the new policy is not reviewing it annually to look for shortcomings that come up or society changes. Will have to check the website for any latest

4 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I could do more research and as time permits me to do so I will. I agree that DCI should do a better job of connecting to people like me, but I also have to take some of that responsibility upon myself. I really do wish that there was an easier to manage news feed on their website but it's not like it's exactly rocket science. 

I don't think people understand how important this point is.

Q:  Do you subscribe to news feeds that tell you about/connect you to individual corps?  BD, Cadets, SCV...Gold, Surf...  do you get info/news/email from any of them?

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

From there we diverted, but our respective points are still valid:  You think DCI can receive value for being more proactive about their positive changes than simply posted said news on their website.  I think you're referencing the optics of the general activity, am I right?

I would say that's 10000000% correct. In the world of social media you have to be proactive when you make positive changes. A great number of people are reasonable and will do the necessary research to formulate a well rounded opinion. Others will simply do as little as they can to find ANYTHING that validates their personal opinion (as uninformed as it may be,) and then lock down on that opinion like a dog with a bone. Some will even go as far as to troll and incite discord as much as possible to deflect attention away from the fact that they're just refusing to do their homework before making a statement. 

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I think we got it.... 😀

And I hope DCI is looking for ways to spread the good news other than website only. My biggest worry with the new policy is not reviewing it annually to look for shortcomings that come up or society changes. Will have to check the website for any latest

I'm going to wait to reply until weaklefthand4eva responds.  (And BTW, the single best screen name for any old drummer)

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, garfield said:

don't think people understand how important this point is.

Q:  Do you subscribe to news feeds that tell you about/connect you to individual corps?  BD, Cadets, SCV...Gold, Surf...  do you get info/news/email from any of them?

I had to make a breakfast run to Hardee's for the work team LOL. I do get news feeds and updates from Spirit, BK and Atlanta CV. I just signed up for the DCI one and will be interested to see how comprehensive it is.