Troopers 2019 >"<

Corps Director Kristy Jackson posted her camp report today. Some intriguing tidbits:

The Troopers have a different sound this year. It is aggressive and hungry. There is a general feeling that the Troopers of 2019 are here to compete. We will be presenting a competitive program that is relevant in the year that we are performing. We are jumping into the mix in full force this year. The handcuffs are off, and the members are committed to writing their own history.

Pay attention to that statement.

Later:

While our legacy and legend influences who we are, we remember the corps as it was in the late sixties. They were hungry, relative to the times they performed in. They came in full force with a mission to deliver. They did not try to be what they once were. They delivered who they were in that moment and in so doing, revolutionized modern drum corps of that era. We strive to do that once again today. If we are to honor our past, it should not be by recreating it at every turn. It should be by living up to its example, choosing to be The 2019 Troopers. I can see no better way to celebrate the 50th anniversary of our National Championship title, than to be electric in the times we live in now.

Emphases are mine.

It should be remembered that the Troopers -- the actual U.S. cavalry that secured the West -- lived on the frontier. They were, to borrow a name, the vanguard, in the literal sense of the word.

I can't say how the competitive chips will fall. But I have a feeling it's going to be a great year to be a Trooper -- no matter when you marched.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Cool! I just realized the corps made it back into finals 10 years ago! I remember and love that show VERY much. The open was very aggressive.... The Cave is one of my favorite pieces!

a friend called me from inside the stadium so I could hear Crocker announce them on the field

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:34 PM, Jeff Ream said:

a friend called me from inside the stadium so I could hear Crocker announce them on the field

I had a friend do that for me in 2010 with Madison, while I was living in Hawaii. Granted, they had been out of finals and back in the following year in 2002, 2007, and 2009. With all the new hires with Jim Mason and all in 2010, it was a welcome phone call. I watched the show via the live feed, but something about hearing the entrance over the phone made it that much more special.

I was at finals in 2009, and it was fun to see Troopers, although, Madison sat out that night.

Edited by tesmusic

If anything, Ms Jackson's statement confuses me. I don't know what to expect, so I guess I'll expect the unexpected as they say. 

Go F Troop. 

• Like 1

look at it this way:

they changed the game many years ago. maybe they're going to try again

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 4:00 PM, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I can see no better way to celebrate the 50th anniversary of our National Championship title, than to be electric in the times we live in now.

Okay, but to celebrate a championship anniversary "now" is either one year too early, or three years too late.