Troopers 2019 >"<

20 minutes ago, Buster Brown said:

Does anyone have any information on the July 11th 'special performance' in Casper? I'm considering a car camping trip to WY and thought it would be neat to see the Troopers in their hometown. The 2019 show doesn't have much appeal for me but if there's a chance to see a more traditional expression of the corps, I would definitely plan around it. Thanks!

No info about this year, but for the past several years, they've held the Hall of Fame ceremony at Ft Caspar and the corps arc's up in uniform and plays through the show for the public after the ceremony; but that's been it.

• Thanks 1

First show day! HO TROOP! 

First contest of the season!  Good luck Troopers.  Have a great season.

It sounds like last night's scores were of a pretty bare bones, early season performance based on the comments in the Clovis thread. I'm really curious to see where Troop lands this year, and how well this new direction & leadership play out (although I understand that's not always apparent the first year of a major change). Based on the preseason comments released by the new leadership, I'm optimistic about the season. Despite Troop landing in 17th the last two seasons (and I loved the show last year), it's easy to forget that they spent 5 out of the 6 seasons prior to those 17th place finishes as the #1 or #2 corps out of Finals. DCI as a whole is healthier when Troopers are in the Finals fight. Here's to a great season, Troopers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some beautiful soul posted the entirety of the competition tonight on YouTube. Glad I got a chance to see Troop! I actually think the show has some pretty solid bones, although it's dirty as all hell right now. I really like the minimalistic, monotone design of it all. The brass sound pretty great. Just clean, clean, clean!

• Like 1

I think there is more to come visually speaking, which will also be fun to see evolve!

I watched the show on YouTube a few moments ago.  The positives first...No tarps, a more mature brass sound, and more upside potential.  The negatives...There needs to be some more contrast between the color guard and the rest of the corps.  The visual is better, but, STILL not up to finals-level creativity.  The new uniform will take A LOT of getting used to.  The corps just doesn't look like the Troopers without the hat...sorry, but that is my opinion.  I would like to see at least some retro moments woven into the current show just to remind the crowd who they are watching.

The Troopers received a special message from Peter Macon, who plays Bortus on TV's The Orville, from which the corps is playing some soundtrack selections!

• Like 1

Troopers!! What lovely show this season. And an incredibly hot brass section. Those kids can play.

While I don't think this excellent design will catapult the corps all the way into Finals, I think the designers have found the corps' wheelhouse moving forward --- gorgeous brass books. That "To the Stars" ballad is BEAUTIFUL, and while I realize it's from a film score and not traditional classical music, I think it would be nice to see Troop take up the mantle of good music on the field. That would would be a nice move forward from their Western identity, which has clearly already happened this year, and would allow them to stay more current. Really love the music and the show overall this season!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Troopers!! What lovely show this season. And an incredibly hot brass section. Those kids can play.

While I don't think this excellent design will catapult the corps all the way into Finals, I think the designers have found the corps' wheelhouse moving forward --- gorgeous brass books. That "To the Stars" ballad is BEAUTIFUL, and while I realize it's from a film score and not traditional classical music, I think it would be nice to see Troop take up the mantle of good music on the field. That would would be a nice move forward from their Western identity, which has clearly already happened this year, and would allow them to stay more current. Really love the music and the show overall this season!!

Me: Ugh sooo many high school bands using Enterprising Young Men in their space shooooows...

Also Me: Wait, where's the big hit from EYM in Troopers show?!?  Noooooo...

Mike