WGI & FloMarching

Somewhere this thread got way offtrack. But since it did..

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Good question.

Not excusing any corps for this... but back in the Stone Age when I got started with drum corps, it was not uncommon for corps to knowingly have overage members. Including the junior corps where I marched.

I have no idea why corps did this.

Same here. Looking back, of course, it was wrong. Done frequently in smaller corps particularly to gain an advantage, to fill a hole, or at minimum make your 23 person horn line 25.

The Stone Age also didn't include any real oversight among the small corps circuits, so getting away with it was a breeze. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DAvery said:

I recently read something by an individual (he claimed) from the 75 Muchacho's stating they knew there were corps trying to get them DQ'd for having over age members. If true, why would you march over age members?  

If true, ( but doubt it ) stupidity then as a possible reason would come immediately to mind. That said, the numbers of Drum Corps knowingly or unknowingly utilizing overage nmarchers in Drum Corps in the 60's, 70's likely equals the numbers of Corps that did national travels to Shows and Championships in rented busses during that time frame. Any belief that only the 1975 Muchachos were utilizing an overage marcher or two in the 70's would be pretty naive, especially for those like you and me that were around at the time and know better. And the notion that in '75, DCI HQ did not privately suspect the frequent use of lots of Corps utilizing overage marchers in their midst probably equals the ridiculous claim  now that DCI Executive Director and BOD's had no suspicions that Corps the last decade have been  involved with  staffers with bad behaviors with marchers in their midst or with the hire/ retention of staffers that were once banned from school grounds by school boards. This thread is about the inconsistencies in how DCI has metered out penalties both on and off the field with its membership Corps oftentimes,. It seemingly depends too often mostly on rank and influence, imo. .There are replete examples of this over the years for the willing to observe and assess, and make up their own minds on this if so inclined, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

As you probably know, I am a pretty strong supporter of Bluecoats. They generate a great deal of their GE from pushing the limits of electronics. But if they have an electronics breakdown during one of their shows, I would hope the judges have the cahonies to gig them. I am a big believer of judges judging the performance before them.

It seems they did with Bluecoats Indoor.

i think that was more timing than the actual judges themselves. I do know in 16 i think it was semis they had issues and BD got really close that night

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Good question.

Not excusing any corps for this... but back in the Stone Age when I got started with drum corps, it was not uncommon for corps to knowingly have overage members. Including the junior corps where I marched.

I have no idea why corps did this.

to win

28 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i think that was more timing than the actual judges themselves. I do know in 16 i think it was semis they had issues and BD got really close that night

I actually thought BD won semis in 16 for that very reason.

48 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

to win

Well... that certainly wasn't the case with my junior corps. :tongue:

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually if a school self reports to the NCAA, which has no bearing on anything 

Sure it does. I could give you  dozen examples of schools internally finding violations of NCAA rules, reported it to the NCAA, and the NCAA later imposing sanctions, financial penalties, and banning of future competition participation ( bowl games ) and so forth. The fact the schools themselves might have uncovered the rules breaking and self reported this to the NCAA did not insulate them from sanctions, although perhaps less severe than if uncovered by outsiders or reported to NCAA HQ by a rival school or whatnot.. Do you require my listing of numerous  self reported violations by schools to the NCAA of rules breaking that later resulted in sanctions, financial penalties... sometimes heavy... imposed on that school , despite the  schools self reporting ? Or would you prefer to self educate yourself more on it ?... or better yet,  just take my comments on it at face value as accurate and not requiring your follow up reply criticism of it as not being fact based, and thus in your view, an inaccurate observation ?

Edited by BRASSO

Back on topic, more or less....LOL...

Best wishes to the percussion ensembles heading to Dayton for their championship weekend!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Back on topic, more or less....LOL...

Best wishes to the percussion ensembles heading to Dayton for their championship weekend!

Should make for some good competition !

Edited by BRASSO