Sign in to follow this  
George Dixon

WGI & FloMarching

Recommended Posts

On 4/7/2019 at 4:05 PM, totaleefree said:

In independant open class MBI lost their sound mid-show during prelims. They continued counting it out for about a minute and then they restarted from the beginning. From what I saw though it was the facilities system that had the flaw.  I have no idea how that effected the judging or what impact it had on the performers doing a restart after you have done half the show.

 DCI Corps and its Judging Community have really not quite come to grips yet, imo, on how to judge Corps in competition performance where the Sound Engineering has a major hiccup... to the point that where the music playing ( or singing ) is severely compromised in its actual delivery to the judge's ( and audience ) ears. Where the solo, brass, or percussion playing sounds like pure crapp musically as a result of the sound engineering snafu.

 Sometimes, maybe we've heard the refrain of late : ... " Well... live by electronics, die by electronics ". While I'm sympathetic to what this means, I'm not entirely sure this is currently the case. It sometimes seems more like ..." Well.. live by electronics,  and live again with electronics, even if it gets messed up ".  Its all new I suppose,. But the judges need to figure now what to do when the electronics underperforms in a major way from what was intended and designed , but came out poorly in a performance competition, and the performance sounded just awful from a music performance standpoint, as a result of the unexpected electronics failure in performance competition..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I actually thought BD won semis in 16 for that very reason.

so did I. if i recall, Blue got it together partway through and I think that saved them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

 Sure it does. I could give you  dozen examples of schools internally finding violations of NCAA rules, reported it to the NCAA, and the NCAA later imposing sanctions, financial penalties, and banning of future competition participation ( bowl games ) and so forth. The fact the schools themselves might have uncovered the rules breaking and self reported this to the NCAA did not insulate them from sanctions, although perhaps less severe than if uncovered by outsiders or reported to NCAA HQ by a rival school or whatnot.. Do you require my listing of numerous  self reported violations by schools to the NCAA of rules breaking that later resulted in sanctions, financial penalties... sometimes heavy... imposed on that school , despite the  schools self reporting ? Or would you prefer to self educate yourself more on it ?... or better yet,  just take my comments on it at face value as accurate and not requiring your follow up reply criticism of it as not being fact based, and thus in your view, an inaccurate observation ?

the NCAA has no bearings on DCI. next

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BRASSO said:

 DCI Corps and its Judging Community have really not quite come to grips yet, imo, on how to judge Corps in competition performance where the Sound Engineering has a major hiccup... to the point that where the music playing ( or singing ) is severely compromised in its actual delivery to the judge's ( and audience ) ears. Where the solo, brass, or percussion playing sounds like pure crapp musically as a result of the sound engineering snafu.

 Sometimes, maybe we've heard the refrain of late : ... " Well... live by electronics, die by electronics ". While I'm sympathetic to what this means, I'm not entirely sure this is currently the case. It sometimes seems more like ..." Well.. live by electronics,  and live again with electronics, even if it gets messed up ".  Its all new I suppose,. But the judges need to figure now what to do when the electronics underperforms in a major way from what was intended and designed , but came out poorly in a performance competition, and the performance sounded just awful from a music performance standpoint, as a result of the unexpected electronics failure in performance competition..

honestly looking at the results when issues happen I think they have come to grips with how they want to handle it. They just won't say it out loud. 

 

Why do I say that? the results or lack thereof speak volumes. Seems in DCA and the band world they are more willing to show some gravitas

Edited by Jeff Ream

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so did I. if i recall, Blue got it together partway through and I think that saved them

You’re right ... they got things working just before the “rewind” section, which was very timely. If the electronics hadn’t been fixed at that moment, we all would have heard a couple measures of absolutely nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

You’re right ... they got things working just before the “rewind” section, which was very timely. If the electronics hadn’t been fixed at that moment, we all would have heard a couple measures of absolutely nothing. 

indeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of WGI and flomarching, I thought PIA was supposed to start at 4:00ET at the Nutter Center.  Can’t find it on flomarching. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Speaking of WGI and flomarching, I thought PIA was supposed to start at 4:00ET at the Nutter Center.  Can’t find it on flomarching. 

a Flo glitch? well last week multiple people reported getting a pop up that they were logged in on too many devices and getting booted...when they were only on one....oh and when they got booted back to UD while watching other venues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

a Flo glitch? well last week multiple people reported getting a pop up that they were logged in on too many devices and getting booted...when they were only on one....oh and when they got booted back to UD while watching other venues

It’s not even showing the Nutter Center as an option.  Strange. 

Ok finally came up.

Edited by Terri Schehr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the NCAA has no bearings on DCI. 

 You  ( nor me )have any bearings on DCI either.

 And besides, it wasn't me that decided to compare DCI with NCAA's Sports, and market itself as such in their similarities, with the NCAA Sports coverage station ESPN.'  DCI  can't have it both ways, and only when it suits its purposes, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.