Onyx 2019 Theory (related to DCI)

Meant for pure fun (unless there's some "there" there).

Did anyone else get the sense that Onyx's 2019 program "Shelter in Place" was an homage/reference to Cadets/George Hopkins?  I'm not trying to diminish Onyx's art - the show was phenomenal (as were the performers)!

Some data points:

• Floor looked like an abstract spelling: KDET
  • Floor contained Maroon and Gold (normally their floors are monochromatic)
  • "Wine Dark Sea" was the soundtrack
  • Show theme of "Shelter in place" represented the storm of the allegations and the effect on the activity

That's about all I've got, so could be way off, but I thought it was fun to see the show that way.  Either way, it's not easy to pull of a tornadic effect with debris flying around - kudos to them!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

never got to see them, not i'll have to go watch

1 hour ago, NewToPosting said:

Did anyone else get the sense that Onyx's 2019 program "Shelter in Place" was an homage/reference to Cadets/George Hopkins?  I'm not trying to diminish Onyx's art - the show was phenomenal (as were the performers)!

Some data points:

• Floor looked like an abstract spelling: KDET
  • Floor contained Maroon and Gold (normally their floors are monochromatic)
  • "Wine Dark Sea" was the soundtrack
  • Show theme of "Shelter in place" represented the storm of the allegations and the effect on the activity

That's about all I've got, so could be way off, but I thought it was fun to see the show that way.  Either way, it's not easy to pull of a tornadic effect with debris flying around - kudos to them!

Saw the show-I think you’re digging too far into that side, personally 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Dude... okay, so I'm not agreeing with you flat out, but... I'm going to add to your list...

- The hubris of the man at the end who took his clothes off (this was the finals run... the finals run had a lot of nuances that weren't in the semi-finals performance)

- The hair style of the man at the end...

- The see-through "X" in the floor that could've represented prison bars... like the sheltering guard members were looking into the cell of the deranged man.

- The word "HELP!" in red on the bottom of the floor.

Question: 

- What's with the guy with the skull in your theory? 

- I'm not sure KDET is actually there, bro.  :-)  

22 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

Did anyone else get the sense that Onyx's 2019 program "Shelter in Place" was an homage/reference to Cadets/George Hopkins?  

If so, what are we supposed to infer or connect to GH regarding this depiction in their show ? ( or maybe we shouldn't go there ?  )  I thought of several potentially connective things when I saw the Onyx 2019 show, but George Hopkins never entered my mind at any point as possibly one of them. Oh well.

Image may contain: one or more people

Edited by BRASSO

I suppose its possible.. who knows. Yes, it was a unique and terrific performance from them anyway.

• Like 1