FREE Players Drum & Bugle Corps - DCI 2018 World Championships

The video of the FREE Players at DCI is publicly available (on their FB page and YouTube), so figured I'd post it here for all to see! 

Being a part of this was probably the most rewarding thing I've ever been a part of. I'm very happy they focused on the kids in the video, and not us adults playing in the arc - it is and should be all about them. Watching their reactions of utter joy as well as the crowd reaction is what Drum Corps, and Music in general, are all about. Even me being a "grumpy dinosaur", I had a tear in my eye the very first time we brought the brass instruments to them and saw how insanely ecstatic they got when they were able to make just a simple sound.. anyway, here's the video:

Edited by frachel
  • Like 9

Post of the Year. This is indeed what it's all about. Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 1

I also wanted to add a huge shout-out, bow and round-of-applause to the Mandarins.

If you were there for the 1st performance of the FREE Players the day before, you know it took close to 30 minutes to get the sound system set up.. there were only 2 guys (I think), running around like crazy, untangling wires, getting it all done. They were drenched in sweat by the time the show began!

The next day for the final performance the entire Mandarins corps was there to help - they waited with us in the tunnel, talked to the kids, help some of them not be scared to go out on the field..  They carried chairs, music stands, props, electronics. They set up and ran the mics and sound board for the performance.  They performed hours earlier, were still in uniform and had to be exhausted, but were there to help. Class act all around!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My favorite show of the night by far. The kids were fantastic!

• Like 1

This Easter/Passover weekend in NYC there was a flurry of publicity about Free Players.

CBS radio repeated throughout the day a blurb about the corps going to DCA Williamsport, PA this coming Labor Day weekend.  Details were given about a GoFundMe page the corps has established to help raise the $50K they are seeking for transportation, hotels, food, and necessities to be the first special needs drum corps to be part of DCA Championship weekend.  Interviews with their center snare capt. and with another member hyped the enthusiasm so alive in Free Players as well as the members' anticipation in taking on all of DCA. It was priceless publicity which bewitched the usually cynical NY media with the mms innocence, hope, and comraderie.  Williamsport, you have been put on notice!!! 😁😃😁

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/04/19/special-needs-drum-corps-to-make-history-by-competing-at-world-championships/

Edited by xandandl