Bluecoats and Thank You Scientist

2 hours ago, flammaster said:

It doesn't matter who was POPULAR we didn't sink so low as to play POP.  We listened to good progressive music which  was never popular but none of that mattered as we were actual musicians who didn't care about hitting it "big".  Back then it was about the MUSIC not being popular.  People who pay 200 dollars for sneakers generally  fall for what is popular and simple. All those "prog" bands as they call  them now days played lots of notes and sought to stimulate minds rather than sell  drinks and trinkets.  

If my corps was to collaborate to who was popular back then I would have quit without notice.

Even if it were a group like The Who, for example? What if BD had been able perform Tommy along side them— would you have barfed at that as well? I’m not trying to make a comparison between the two bands, but people have different tastes in music and just because something doesn’t fall within your own personal preference doesn’t make it automatically insipid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, flammaster said:

It doesn't matter who was POPULAR we didn't sink so low as to play POP.  We listened to good progressive music which  was never popular but none of that mattered as we were actual musicians who didn't care about hitting it "big".  Back then it was about the MUSIC not being popular.  People who pay 200 dollars for sneakers generally  fall for what is popular and simple. All those "prog" bands as they call  them now days played lots of notes and sought to stimulate minds rather than sell  drinks and trinkets.  

If my corps was to collaborate to who was popular back then I would have quit without notice.

you may want to go check out the repertoire list here: 

http://www.dcxmuseum.org/

i think you'll see a TON of the pop music you bash so much over all of the decades. By what let facts ruin one of your rants

3 hours ago, flammaster said:

The performance of the music was excellent but that cheesy singer ugghhh next

Respectfully disagree regarding the vocalist. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

For me, this is a moment of pure joy.

13 hours ago, flammaster said:

barrrrrrrf!  How insipid can you get? I just threw up.

I would have to respectfully disagree. I'm was not familiar with this band and certainly not this specific song. That being said, I don't think I would call it insipid even though I didn't find specifically interesting musically. So I checked out some of their other stuff. Is it my style now? Not really, but that doesn't diminish the talent of that group or their desire to reach out across genres and bridge musical gaps. I've seen everything from The Dead to Richard Cheese in concert. Nobody can (or should) tell you what to like or not like....post or not post etc. But to be fair, just because it doesn't fit your style doesn't make it bad. 

I remember thinking when I was a young man, that Gregg Bissonette was essentially a talent-less hack because of his look and who he was playing with. It wasn't until I saw him perform at PASIC and then a few months later with the Buddy Rick Orchestra that I realized what an immense talent and feel he has for jazz. Just because you don't dig one style doesn't mean the performer(s) is one dimensional. I realized in that moment that I was the one being one dimensional and that I needed to expand 1) my personal knowledge of the performer and 2) my understanding of music that just wasn't my taste.  

• Like 3

I never said they were not "Talented" (which itself is a fallacy better known as PRACTICE). I do and have many times called out BD for doing stupid stuff.  Yowza.  I thought Tommy was a lame show and would have been ten times lamer with vocals.  Just because they are legal now doesn't mean you can't call them out.  Session 44 was one of the very few instances where a vocalist actually did work.  The only thing missing from this band is a bunch of Murses and a fixie bike.  I am unrepentant in calling out  stupid crap. the new BD uniforms are even more a joke and they know I can't stand them.  nice try.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The fact that someone thinks Thank You Scientist is a mainstream pop band only interested in fame is absolutely hysterical to me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, flammaster said:

I never said they were not "Talented" (which itself is a fallacy better known as PRACTICE). I do and have many times called out BD for doing stupid stuff.  Yowza.  I thought Tommy was a lame show and would have been ten times lamer with vocals.  Just because they are legal now doesn't mean you can't call them out.  Session 44 was one of the very few instances where a vocalist actually did work.  The only thing missing from this band is a bunch of Murses and a fixie bike.  I am unrepentant in calling out  stupid crap. the new BD uniforms are even more a joke and they know I can't stand them.  nice try.

apparently "stupid" is in the eye of the beer holder

• Haha 2