Bluecoats and Thank You Scientist

34 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

they'd have jumped. Look at the acts with the drumlines coming out in concert....drum corps are approached to provide players and get some recognition at most of the events

Absolutely. A lot of folks, myself included, were approached about the Super Bowl even. It's a brave new world as they say. 

Now if DCI would do their part. Maybe do semi's free at the theatres and run groups like TYS's videos during intermission or between Corps. I know that's a far fetched idea but both sides benefit from the exposure. 

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Geritol. Classic. One of the last great snake oil salesmen. I think the idea was that the elderly are tired because their blood is iron deficient. Enter Geritol. And the elderly target audience explains why they were a sponsor of the Lawrence Well show. 

They also sponsored the Ted Mack Amateur Hour. There must have been a lot of geriatrics with “iron poor blood” to support Geritol’s advertising budget. 

Edited by Brian Tuma

1 hour ago, Lance said:

tys has some amazing musicians

bloo has some amazing musicians

amazing musicians + amazing musicians = ___________________________________________?

not sure how anybody can cast a pejorative light on this...unless it's trolling.  if it's trolling, it's very well-executed, and i can appreciate it. 

He's not trolling....probably off his meds again.

4 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Absolutely. A lot of folks, myself included, were approached about the Super Bowl even. It's a brave new world as they say. 

Now if DCI would do their part. Maybe do semi's free at the theatres and run groups like TYS's videos during intermission or between Corps. I know that's a far fetched idea but both sides benefit from the exposure. 

way too much lost money giving semis away free. The theater deal isn't reaping millions

19 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

way too much lost money giving semis away free. The theater deal isn't reaping millions

I wonder though how much the sales at the theatre really are? Granted that even long term, I dont expect it wowpould bring in a crap ton of new eyes that are willing to pay a ton see a big regional like Atlanta. But is it that big of a loss to take the risk? Again, I don't know the numbers. Just spit ballin'

31 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I wonder though how much the sales at the theatre really are? Granted that even long term, I dont expect it wowpould bring in a crap ton of new eyes that are willing to pay a ton see a big regional like Atlanta. But is it that big of a loss to take the risk? Again, I don't know the numbers. Just spit ballin'

You get more views nationwide with prelims than you do at any regional. But the live transmission, theater rentals etc isn't cheap. I doubt they are losing money, but it's not going to draw in new eyes enough to cover the costs. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Another problem is that this exposure would come at the end of the season. Any new enthusiasm would definitely cool during the off season. But what about the Tour Premier? If it was economically feasible then you could use it to promote the upcoming season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Another problem is that this exposure would come at the end of the season. Any new enthusiasm would definitely cool during the off season. But what about the Tour Premier? If it was economically feasible then you could use it to promote the upcoming season

Good thought! I just know this. When I was in Jr High and High School, there were 3 to 4 big shows in my area (Chattanooga.) They were cheap and close and got a TON of draw from the local schools. They weren't the reason I ended up marching drum corps but they certainly helped solidify my desire. 

Now, you really only have the Atlanta show and it's pretty cost prohibitive for a band program to attend like we used to in the early 80s.

On 4/15/2019 at 1:50 PM, OldSnareDrummer said:

Hermin's Hermits...Dave Clark Five. ...Trini Lopez.

In my wildest dreams, I never would have guessed something called Thank You Scientist was a band. 

There was also The Crazy World of Arthur Brown back then, as well as The Troggs, 10 Wheel Drive, and The Fugs. Odd named bands are nothing new!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

There was also The Crazy World of Arthur Brown back then, as well as The Troggs, 10 Wheel Drive, and The Fugs. Odd named bands are nothing new!

The Fugs!!!!

They were awesome. Talk about "out there".... they were definitely around the bend, so to speak. I think my brother might still have one of their albums. 

In the 1970s into the 80s, there was Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band, a blues-rock-alternative group from the Washington, DC area. They had quite a following for a while. Their hits included "Boogie 'Til You Puke" and "Dare To Be Fat."   Not kidding here.   LOL

I liked Root Boy and the band... but the group was an acquired taste, to say the least.  :laughing:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1