Bluecoats and Thank You Scientist

51 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

The Fugs!!!!

They were awesome. Talk about "out there".... they were definitely around the bend, so to speak. I think my brother might still have one of their albums. 

In the 1970s into the 80s, there was Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band, a blues-rock-alternative group from the Washington, DC area. They had quite a following for a while. Some of their hits included "Boogie 'Til You Puke" and "Dare To Be Fat."   Not kidding here.   LOL

I liked Root Boy and the band... but the group was an acquired taste, to say the least.  :laughing:

What about the Shaggs?  They were a trip. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

What about the Shaggs?  They were a trip. 

Yes, they were.  :laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxPsXPCR5MU

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Another problem is that this exposure would come at the end of the season. Any new enthusiasm would definitely cool during the off season. But what about the Tour Premier? If it was economically feasible then you could use it to promote the upcoming season.

again $$$ is the key

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

again $$$ is the key

Yeah, I know. But I figure there are fewer $$$ involved because there are fewer corps — 6 vs. 15, and if I recall correctly, tickets are a lot cheaper. I also figure most newbies would feel better with a smaller line-up. Sure we DCPers want to watch the top 15, but newbies? I think they would be impressed (and more than satisfied) with six of the top twelve.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

again $$$ is the key

Agree 100%. And not to derail the topic of the thread, but if money is the issue, what do you do to increase the exposure to the initiated? It's a blessing that we have so many ways to expose new audiences to the activity. But its also a curse that theres so much more to do now whether it be gaming on the internet etc. How do you reach those who aren't actively seeking out something like drum corps? My exposure came from family and my band directors. 

9 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I think they would be impressed (and more than satisfied) with six of the top twelve.

I like the train of thought, but not sure how effective it would be. Last year I talked several people into going to the theater premiere. The sound was out of balance (all treble), the live feed quit during Crown, and the videography at the premiere is closer to Flo quality at that point in the season. Needless to say, they weren’t all that impressed. I took them to a Bluecoats practice later in the season and they were speechless. There’s something about getting your face blown off (live) that changes everything. I think the theater premiere is perfect for fans that want a first glimpse, but a tough sell for the uninitiated. 

11 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Yeah, I know. But I figure there are fewer $$$ involved because there are fewer corps — 6 vs. 15, and if I recall correctly, tickets are a lot cheaper. I also figure most newbies would feel better with a smaller line-up. Sure we DCPers want to watch the top 15, but newbies? I think they would be impressed (and more than satisfied) with six of the top twelve.

again it's the cost of the theaters and the live feed. Those are the big cost drivers. Fathom isn't doing the event to be nice, they are doing it to make money. if it ever started losing money for Fathom, it'd be done

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Agree 100%. And not to derail the topic of the thread, but if money is the issue, what do you do to increase the exposure to the initiated? It's a blessing that we have so many ways to expose new audiences to the activity. But its also a curse that theres so much more to do now whether it be gaming on the internet etc. How do you reach those who aren't actively seeking out something like drum corps? My exposure came from family and my band directors. 

and honestly.....drum corps will never be mass marketable. it's band as far as the world is concerned. Remember we have kids in corps or bands wearing Under Armour gear, but UA sees no benefit in any kind of marketing agreement. At college football games, unless it's a place with serious tradition, large chunks of the crowd get up at halftime when the bands perform....even see more and more people coming in late instead of watching the traditional pregame stuff at many schools. Heck now, you even get more piped in music during the game than just the band.

I said this just last night on the DCP Facebook page. We're band nerds, and in drum corps, we're the uber nerds. We're "hey that one time at band camp". DCI decided years ago, and while i was against it then, I see the wisdom now....the growth is going to come from the band world, and has. The key is once they come, retaining them. yes the activity has shed "legacy fans" disenchanted with the product....they lost me for a few years! But DCi realized the key is getting the kids, and trying to keep them as they get older, and hook their parents too, because as we've seen too many times, alumni #### on the activity they claim to love over and over and over again. You'll never win those folks, because they can't even agree on what era of drum corps they want to see it revert to.

• Like 5