Bluecoats and Thank You Scientist

On 4/13/2019 at 6:34 PM, Brian Tuma said:

What band was popular when you were marching? If your corps had the chance to collaborate with that band would it also be insipid and make you throw up? 

Hermin's Hermits...Dave Clark Five. ...Trini Lopez.

In my wildest dreams, I never would have guessed something called Thank You Scientist was a band. 

• Like 1

Way back on the last day of 2017 spring training  in Denison, Bluecoats finally performed their first complete run through of Jagged Line. Who was there to watch it? Thank You Scientists. Bloo flew them in to watch how their work translated to the football field and after that first run through, TYS gave a private concert for the corps. 

Who had no problems getting licensing from TYS? Yup, Bluecoats, in part because they invited the band into the drum corps experience.

I’m sorry  there are fans of drum corps who can’t get past their narrow preferences not to see how this is a great thing for the activity. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

This is a great thing for the activity?  How?  I mean, you think it’s great, ok fine. But the hyperbole here is a bit much. I guess we forgot how to disagree without calling each other names. You don’t like it?  I don’t care. You like it?  I don’t care. But claiming it’s good for the activity?  Please. You know what would be good for the activity?  More sleep. Better and more consistent food. Mandatory tee shirts, hats and sunscreen. More water breaks. 

Edited by HockeyDad

:: Checking  my last several posts ::

Nope. I don’t see any name calling.

• Thanks 1

Why do I think this is good for the activity:

A corps invites a musical group which is unaware of the activity to witness what a corps can do with the band’s source material.

The band is so impressed they invite the corps to collaborate with them for a commercial release.

I think this is a great thing for the activity. 

I like sunscreen, too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

You know what would be good for the activity?  More sleep. Better and more consistent food. Mandatory tee shirts, hats and sunscreen. More water breaks. 

Yes, all of those things would be amazing and I think every single current and former MM, staff and director would agree. But IMHO, it still doesnt diminish that this type of thing helps our activity touch a few more eyes and ears that may have no idea of what it is that we do. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
Cauz I kant spel to gud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

:: Checking  my last several posts ::

Nope. I don’t see any name calling.

“A bush league rant.....can’t get past their narrow preferences..”

13 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Why do I think this is good for the activity:

A corps invites a musical group which is unaware of the activity to witness what a corps can do with the band’s source material.

The band is so impressed they invite the corps to collaborate with them for a commercial release.

I think this is a great thing for the activity. 

I like sunscreen, too.

Did not Carolina Crown also do something similar previously with some of its composers?!!  I can remember the tweet by Peter Lovett Cooper hailing them.  And Cadets had the visit to camp by the John Mackey whose works were later familiar in several corps books.  Bloo is but continuing a wonderful tradition, and kudos to them.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Way back on the last day of 2017 spring training  in Denison, Bluecoats finally performed their first complete run through of Jagged Line. Who was there to watch it? Thank You Scientists. Bloo flew them in to watch how their work translated to the football field and after that first run through, TYS gave a private concert for the corps. 

Who had no problems getting licensing from TYS? Yup, Bluecoats, in part because they invited the band into the drum corps experience.

I’m sorry  there are fans of drum corps who can’t get past their narrow preferences not to see how this is a great thing for the activity. 

If I recall they live streamed some stuff from Allentown on their groups page too

6 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

“A bush league rant.....can’t get past their narrow preferences..”

Yeah, OK, I was being a jerk. Hey! I called myself a name!